VST drum machines or Samples?

monq

Hi again... I was wondering whether you fine people use to create the breaks that appear in your compositions?

I have spent a few hours analysing the amen break in Audacity and getting the exact timings for each type of beat, but I am unsure how to proceed now. I want to create the loop from scratch - but using my own samples.

Now, do you guys work with samples -i.e adding each one of them in a program like Audacity? Or do you use your DAW's drum machine / external vsts like battery, etc?

Or do you simply grab existing loops and use them without creating the loop from scratch?

The advantage that I can see in using a drum machine is how easy would be changing samples once the basic loop has been created...

Cheers! :D

David

I use single samples which I just drop straight into cubase and work with them in audio... then I can layer up my beats and effect / eq them all seperatly.

Then once I have the main structure of my beat I fatten it up with some breaks.. which again I effect / eq and chop them up as I need.

its easier to do it with a slicer, for instance Dr Rex in reason or SliceX in FL Studio, cos it will extract all the hits for you

start with a break, layer snares and kicks over it (with eqing and evelope tweaking to get it sounding nice), add more hi-hats

all this is to get it sounding more beefy, ie if you want the 'feel' of the original break but a heavier kick, snappier snare etc

sometimes i layer a high passed amen to get some highs in there as well but its all down to taste

check this: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=71137

also if you go to the bandcamp link in the second post, listen to my tune decision - that is ALL amen, no layering... im starting to think it sounds tinny and flat

have a listen to i know kung fu which is an amen + a break called 'day by day' + 3 or 4 kicks, 2 or 3 snares and lots of hi-hats layered up, makes it sound a lot beefier

couldn't tell you how the pros do it though, id love to get my beats sounding like high contrast's or calibre's!

thx James and perspective, this is definitely the way in which I guess I will work - since this is the way in which I have produced non d'n'b stuff in the past! :)

p$ Perspective, I really loved the hard break in your loop, brilliant job man! Is that your voice!? :D :D

thx James and perspective, this is definitely the way in which I guess I will work - since this is the way in which I have produced non d'n'b stuff in the past! :)

p$ Perspective, I really loved the hard break in your loop, brilliant job man! Is that your voice!? :D :D

hehehe, cheers man, i wish i really did sound like laurence fishburne! :teeth:

so what other stuff do you produce then monq? would love to hear, noticed your really absorbing dnb atm and are asking some insightful questions... link me up braw!

Ummm, I just moved into production a few months ago - I have been playing classical music since I was 6 (mainly piano), and singing in Baroque/classical choirs for quite a long time as well... :D

So nothing that I have created lately is good enough to post anywhere... but I am currently working on my first "slightly drum'n'bassy" track, and that one I will definitely post it here, if only for the laughs! :D

And I doubt that the important thing here is to sound like them best producers ever... to be fair, I have always enjoyed MUCH more music created by enthusiasts (especially when I have managed to go to a live concert) than big names... There is soooo much more originality and fresh approach! :D Yeah your kick and your snare might not have the punch of a few million hardware studio, but heck it sounds tha bomb! :D

yea thats a good point mate! looking forward to your dnbassy track anyway, sounds like you have a solid musical background and that goes a long way

dnb/classical crossover tune would be epic, get some decrotive teeth stuff and you could be the next goldie hahahahah!!! ill keep an eye out for 'monqz return' in HMV :teeth:

ROFL! :D :D Actually, one of my projects is to implement Buxtehude (basically, the epitome of Baroque music, just before Bach and co) into a d&b track. This will imply sampling the Monteverdi choir (the best baroque choir/orchestra in the world), so at least the source will be good! :D :D

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to hearing the results.
I use Battery most of the time, cos I can load samples into that and write out the beats in midi. Have found this easy to work with cos it gives you flexibility to edit each sample individually. Also starting to use some filtered breaks for the top end to fill out the sound.
Don't think it really matters which way you go, just what seems more natural I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom