Vote for theme of next DnB forum comp

What is the theme for you.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IV4

DnBF Sheriff
VIP Junglist
Get ready guys because we will officially be kicking off the DnB forum compo. This time around it is all about you and what you bring to the table. We will vote for a theme and everybody has to do their best to interpret that theme and make a song. No sample pack or stems will be provide. Use every last resource you have to make the best track you can.

Somethings will be different this time around. For example, voting will be different. After a contestant gets enough votes to be in the finals, their vote will be transferred to the voters second pick. This prevents one or two people from getting all the votes.

Also, just an idea, do you guys want to remain anonymous and send me your track, or would you rather post it up on your sound cloud and link the track for voting. It may or may not turn into a popularity contest but you will surly get some real plays on sound cloud.

Newer members who are interested are encouraged to and invited join in the fun. This is a friendly competition that helps connect this online community. In the last few compos we have had judges from Dexcell and Eastern Promise carefully listen and give feedback on plenty mere mortal's tracks. We have also discovered amongst ourselves how awesome the talent can be here.

One last thing. This time, if you enter a track. You must help to promote the winner. In the last compo I felt we dropped the ball on this one. There is no real prize for these competitions, so we must do our best to support our community.

More detailed rules are to come, for now vote on theme and express your ideas.
@logikz

Last edited:
Whats the deadline on this? I may or may not take part. If not I'd be happy to judge again.:2thumbs:

I think anonymous is best.

There should be some insentive to doing this. I.e the winner gets a some decent home made sample pack or a couple massive patches? Maybe an FL project or something of the like?

Or if they want a particular sound or element in a track ill try my hardest to replicate it and talk them through the process. As long as its not a noisia noise im willing to give that a try if peeps are interested in that?

Last edited:
Whats the deadline on this? I may or may not take part. If not I'd be happy to judge again.:2thumbs:

I think anonymous is best.

There should be some insentive to doing this. I.e the winner gets a some decent home made sample pack or a couple massive patches? Maybe an FL project or something of the like?

Or if they want a particular sound or element in a track ill try my hardest to replicate it and talk them through the process. As long as its not a noisia noise im willing to give that a try if peeps are interested in that?
THANK YOU!

I need a to set a large dead line. I was thinking sometime in late October or Early November.

Shit, if you want to help, a personal tutorial with Sammy Dexcell is quite a prize.

Also, It would be just as cool if you participated or judged.

@Brex @Catalyst_dnb
Glad to have you guys on board. It is all about having fun and learning.

Also, for everybody. It looks like the the Movie theme is winning. What movie should we sample? I think we should discuss it.

fear and loathing in las vegas or scanner darkly would be quite good, could get a voting for the movie if movie samples the way to go

I voted for the Lovecraft quote. But even if the "sample a movie" wins, I'll sample this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/

EDIT--

I think is a good idea to leave people to work with their own things, instead of stems. I may have said it otherwise in the past, but I do agree now it's a good idea. More freedom to the people, more diversity, more quality.

You can expect something very End.User inspired from me on this one.

Complementing: why don't we leave it open for the people to sample the movie they want, and include a rule where he/she/it must say what movie it is and why he/she/it chose that movie?

Complementing: why don't we leave it open for the people to sample the movie they want, and include a rule where he/she/it must say what movie it is and why he/she/it chose that movie?
I like it. Just some kind of movie sample must be included. Any body have any thoughts.

I agree with what Lizardro said and yeah, tell me when to start and I'm in. I voted for the movie sample as well.

I voted for the Lovecraft quote. But even if the "sample a movie" wins, I'll sample this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/

EDIT--

I think is a good idea to leave people to work with their own things, instead of stems. I may have said it otherwise in the past, but I do agree now it's a good idea. More freedom to the people, more diversity, more quality.

You can expect something very End.User inspired from me on this one.

I was going to suggest if we do one movie it be one of the Lovecraft themed ones too...

I'm torn on the pick your own vs everyone do the same movie idea. I guess this compo is trending towards individuality, but having some commonality and constraints might be good so we can see how we all take the same thing and do something different with it.

PS -- Sampling a silent film may be a bit challenging!

Last edited:
I was going to suggest if we do one movie it be one of the Lovecraft themed ones too...

I'm torn on the pick your own vs everyone do the same movie idea. I guess this compo is trending towards individuality, but having some commonality and constraints might be good so we can see how we all take the same thing and do something different with it.
Personally, I think the lack of rules might make things harder, sometimes rules, limits, and boundaries can be liberating for creativity, while to much freedom can cause writers block.

Alright, I'm producing a bit less nowadays, but probably when september comes, I'll get into it a bit more again. So I'm in.
I'm voting for the movie sample.

And maybe give a few movies to sample from? Because if you take one movie, it might happen almost everything has the same quotes. So maybe a 'famous' one and a few (2 or 3) movies lesser known? So our knowledge also gets a boost. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom