Vote for theme of next DnB forum comp

Discussion in 'Production' started by IV4, Aug 7, 2015.

?

What is the theme for you.

Poll closed Aug 12, 2015.
  1. Everybody must have a sample from one movie.

75.0%
  2. Everyone must remix a pop song.

15.0%
  3. Everyone must use a H.P. Lovecraft quote.

10.0%
  1. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Get ready guys because we will officially be kicking off the DnB forum compo. This time around it is all about you and what you bring to the table. We will vote for a theme and everybody has to do their best to interpret that theme and make a song. No sample pack or stems will be provide. Use every last resource you have to make the best track you can.

Somethings will be different this time around. For example, voting will be different. After a contestant gets enough votes to be in the finals, their vote will be transferred to the voters second pick. This prevents one or two people from getting all the votes.

Also, just an idea, do you guys want to remain anonymous and send me your track, or would you rather post it up on your sound cloud and link the track for voting. It may or may not turn into a popularity contest but you will surly get some real plays on sound cloud.

Newer members who are interested are encouraged to and invited join in the fun. This is a friendly competition that helps connect this online community. In the last few compos we have had judges from Dexcell and Eastern Promise carefully listen and give feedback on plenty mere mortal's tracks. We have also discovered amongst ourselves how awesome the talent can be here.

One last thing. This time, if you enter a track. You must help to promote the winner. In the last compo I felt we dropped the ball on this one. There is no real prize for these competitions, so we must do our best to support our community.

More detailed rules are to come, for now vote on theme and express your ideas.
    @logikz

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Zethus909 and Dark Lizardro like this.
  2. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Nothing?

3. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Whats the deadline on this? I may or may not take part. If not I'd be happy to judge again.:2thumbs:

I think anonymous is best.

There should be some insentive to doing this. I.e the winner gets a some decent home made sample pack or a couple massive patches? Maybe an FL project or something of the like?

Or if they want a particular sound or element in a track ill try my hardest to replicate it and talk them through the process. As long as its not a noisia noise im willing to give that a try if peeps are interested in that?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    IV4 likes this.
  4. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

I'm pretty new to producing but I'd try and give it a go

IV4 likes this.
  5. Brex

Brex The house guy

Got a lot going on and I'm gash at production but I'm keen to get involved.

IV4 likes this.
  6. Catalyst_dnb

Catalyst_dnb Member

I for one would be very happy with this :)

IV4 likes this.
  7. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

THANK YOU!

I need a to set a large dead line. I was thinking sometime in late October or Early November.

Shit, if you want to help, a personal tutorial with Sammy Dexcell is quite a prize.

Also, It would be just as cool if you participated or judged.

8. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

@Brex @Catalyst_dnb
    Glad to have you guys on board. It is all about having fun and learning.

Also, for everybody. It looks like the the Movie theme is winning. What movie should we sample? I think we should discuss it.

9. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

fear and loathing in las vegas or scanner darkly would be quite good, could get a voting for the movie if movie samples the way to go

10. Seanachie

Seanachie New Member

Hey I´m new at this forum.
    I do not know how, but I want to participate

IV4 likes this.
  11. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I voted for the Lovecraft quote. But even if the "sample a movie" wins, I'll sample this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478988/

EDIT--

I think is a good idea to leave people to work with their own things, instead of stems. I may have said it otherwise in the past, but I do agree now it's a good idea. More freedom to the people, more diversity, more quality.

You can expect something very End.User inspired from me on this one.

12. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

It's easy, you make a track following the rules and turn it in when you are finished. When it comes time we post your track with the other competitors and people will vote for the winners to be sent to the judges. The judges decide the ultimate winner.

13. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

Complementing: why don't we leave it open for the people to sample the movie they want, and include a rule where he/she/it must say what movie it is and why he/she/it chose that movie?

14. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

I like it. Just some kind of movie sample must be included. Any body have any thoughts.

15. Menosance

Menosance aka OSOI

I agree with what Lizardro said and yeah, tell me when to start and I'm in. I voted for the movie sample as well.

16. Sulihin

Sulihin Active Member

I was going to suggest if we do one movie it be one of the Lovecraft themed ones too...

I'm torn on the pick your own vs everyone do the same movie idea. I guess this compo is trending towards individuality, but having some commonality and constraints might be good so we can see how we all take the same thing and do something different with it.

PS -- Sampling a silent film may be a bit challenging!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  17. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

Personally, I think the lack of rules might make things harder, sometimes rules, limits, and boundaries can be liberating for creativity, while to much freedom can cause writers block.

18. DYSRUPT

DYSRUPT Active Member

Count me in. Where do i send this bad larry when its done??

19. Solace

Solace Active Member

Alright, I'm producing a bit less nowadays, but probably when september comes, I'll get into it a bit more again. So I'm in.
    I'm voting for the movie sample.

And maybe give a few movies to sample from? Because if you take one movie, it might happen almost everything has the same quotes. So maybe a 'famous' one and a few (2 or 3) movies lesser known? So our knowledge also gets a boost. Just a thought

20. LienN

LienN Member

Are cut-scenes from games counted movies as well? :D