Volume in Cubase

Discussion in 'Production' started by muzzadj, Oct 21, 2009.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

2nd thread for me tonight wahey! lol.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the tune im making in cubase right now (currently just a drum beat) is so much quieter than everything else i.e a tune in windows media player. But when i turn up the master volume to the volume i want it is fully redlining. Any ideas? Quiet samples maybe?!

2. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

Tracks that are mastered are louder than a track in production, you haven't done compression and all that. I can't really explain but i'm sure someone will understand what i'm on about. I'm too stoned at the moment.

3. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

basically, the professional tunes you hear are as loud as your own. both hit 0 dbfs. what happens and you hear them as louder, is that they have been produced at a higher RMS value, or simply the average perceived loudness.
    Limiters and compressors are used to create this, both in the mixing and mastering process.
    in a nutshell, thats basically it. theres loads of advice on the science and methods of getting ultra squashed and punchy tunes. But at the same time, there are a lot of people who think that the reduction of dynamic range destroys the sound. this contrasted views is informally called loudness war.
    check wiki for more info.
    (y)

4. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

thanks mate! will look into that more! Out of interest you got any tunes up anywhere? You sound like quite the producer from some of the stuff i see you post man!

5. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

check me myspace. nothing amazing tbh
    i just read a lot! :D