volume automation and mixing in Live

DrugGraff&Music

hi everyone,

whenever I automate the volume of certain part in an audio track, I can't change the main volume of the track without live going into override wich cancel all my tedious edits. only thing I can see is routing the track to an other one and use this one for mixing level but I'm tryna keep the number of tracks to an acceptable number, or straight up bouncing the track but then I'm stuck with the automation, no going back.

there's gotta be a way around this.

And there is. It's called Volume Modulation. But only in Live 9 and only in Clip envelopes.
To access it select volume envelope and then right click anywhere in clip view and select "Show modulation". Now you can modulate volume without affecting the actual volume and freely use fader.

Last edited:
I dunno if live 5 haw it. But theres a plugin called utility. Stick that on there and use the gain to automate the volume and keep the ableton mixer clean. If you dont have utility im sure theres a free plugin that will do it somewhere

You can also drop an eq on there and automate the master output gain of the eq

Theres tons of ways to do this. any plug in with a master out will do. Camel phat has one, Wow filter has one

yeah live 5 have the utility plugin, never used it so I totally overlooked it. kind of a bitch to fine tune in small increment but I'm sure once it's assigned to a knob it sweep smoothly.

much thanks to everybody, it' really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom