Vocals

Attire

Last Winter
VIP Junglist
How do you guys add vocals to your tracks?

(I mean both spoken and sung lines)

Do you trawl through endless hours of whatever clips to find the perfect vocal? Do you record your own?

And if you write your own lyrics for someone to sing, how do you write them so they are not nauseatingly cheesy?

:)

I usually sample records and chop em or process them to fit the tempo and groove, if its a spoken vocal like from a movie or whatever i usually find a line i like then just pitch it down thats if i'm going for a darker vibe.

it varies, we sample films and records, i also record vocals, its easier than you think when you find the right button in cooledit.
edit: i cant hear shit, itunes lets me preview 10 seconds.
edit2: sorry wrong thread.

Last edited:
I find lots of dialogue from obscure sci fi games noone's ever heard of on YouTube and rip it through offliberty.com.

I find lots of dialogue from obscure sci fi games noone's ever heard of on YouTube and rip it through offliberty.com.

moviewavs.com or something like that is good aswell.

as for sung vocals - start with a vocal, chop it up and arrange and do all the rest afterwards, makes it waaaaay easier to come up with a tune.

rather than you writing a tune, inserting vocal - and its way off the key but fits in every other aspect, get me?

moviewavs.com or something like that is good aswell.

as for sung vocals - start with a vocal, chop it up and arrange and do all the rest afterwards, makes it waaaaay easier to come up with a tune.

rather than you writing a tune, inserting vocal - and its way off the key but fits in every other aspect, get me?

I haven't actually tried this, might be an interesting idea.

So does anyone actually write their own lyrics here? I'm interested to know how that is working out for people.
What kind of thing do you write about, how do you know if it sucks...?

You know.

yeah we do, for my rock projects. but before they are recorded there is a drum track and quite possibly a bass track and the guy with whom i wrote the lyrics knows exacly how he wants them. so its easy. it tends to get a bit more difficult if you just give a girl a track and go COULD YOU SING PLS K THNKS or even record the vocals first and then try to write strings and bass and shit over it. course thats just my take on it, its a pretty broad subject, but let me tell you this, a way way over complicated one, its easy when you got your method down, conceptually how and what the vocals are to the tune. it takes a couple of gos and i am by no means any good at it but my method is kind of ok i guess

Creative commons has an excellent collection of classic adventure/sci-fi radio broadcasts that can contain excellent samples. It also contains public broadcasting interviews which, after a bit of digging, can reveal some gold. We actually obtained our "Time Travel" sample from one those interviews.

just starting to experiment with original vocals. usually it is a case of trying to build the tune around the vocal - it's pretty hard to write a tune and try and search your sample library for something that will fit.

i have not written any lyrics, nor do i really intend to. i just found a vocalist to take a crack at a tune lostnthesound and i are working on, she will write the lyrics and we will "approve" them. we will definitely let you know how it works out.

PS, @lost: i found us a vocalist for that tune, the one we have been sitting on forever.

Back
Top Bottom