vocal time stretching help!

xymon

pretty much a noob here on making dnb having come from a house background, so all help is appreciated!

i have vocal at 130bpm & my track is 175bpm, when i stretch the vocal to 175bpm (preserving the pitch) using izotope radius in logic it doesnt seem to flow as good as i think it should, if i change the vocal to 87.5bpm it sounds way too slow, are there any techniques you guys can recommend / any other suggestions to getting a vocal to sit nicely?

thanks

xymon

3rd bar timing are fun. its very difficult to get right though. Or alternatively cut it up and turn it into an instrument. There ARE ways around it. ;)

its really difficult maths and complicated to talk it through (for me anyway hehe), basically the vocal will be slipping the whole way, to keep the timing not too fast and not too slow. So you compensate this with a matching baseline/instrumental piece that slips all the way through. It makes the vocals sound less jarring. But that said it probably only works with rapping. i'll try and make an example later on.

Maybe use Albeton or cubase timewarp function if you can access it. I have never used it myself but been told that you can stretch vocals very well and preserve that.
Also, I went to a music workshop today at SAE and was being shown through reason 5 and record by a geezer from propellerhead. I was asking him the same question as you got him to show me in record. It was sooo easy man! he stretched a vocal from 140 upto 175 in about 5 secs and it was well clean. He also showed me that if you imported a vocal part that was 140bpm into a project at 175, it would make it fit in a couple of clicks. Clever stuff.

thanks for all your help guys, got my head round the stretching & the vocal sounds way better, flows really well!

hey ur using logic right?

well it still might not sound perfect because its a big jump in bpm, but double click your acapella to bring up the Sample Editor, then under Factory - click Time and Pitch Machine...

here you can set the original bpm of the sample, and the destined bpm you require. Check that out n it should fit well, I use it for all my acapellas and amen loops etc..

Back
Top Bottom