Vocal Sampling

Rubs90

KeyControl
VIP Junglist
Easy, finishing a tune right now and I wanna apply some nice little vocals but never done it before. Im looking for something of this kind (0:10):

Just a short little modulated phrase, but I have no idea where to start. I tried going for hip hop tracks but cant seem to isolate the elements behind the vocals, just sounds nasty with both tracks playing. Would go for a movie but this sample seems to be from a hip hop track or something like that. In short, I have no idea how to start, and more importantly, how to modulate the vocals after sampling them. What kind of plugins should I use, should I pitch them down an octave, etc etc

Share your tips please, im a bit lost! Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a short little modulated phrase, but I have no idea where to start. I tried going for hip hop tracks but cant seem to isolate the elements behind the vocals, just sounds nasty with both tracks playing. Would go for a movie but this sample seems to be from a hip hop track or something like that. In short, I have no idea how to start, and more importantly, how to modulate the vocals after sampling them. What kind of plugins should I use, should I pitch them down an octave, etc etc

Share your tips please, im a bit lost! Cheers

Well just get a acapella?? plus an automated pitch down or up aswell easy mate

Your gonna need some acapellas of hip hop/rap tunes first of all. Then go through them until you find a good phrase.

Then do what ever you want to it, there are no rules in terms of how to process it. Just do what sounds good.

I'd look for the Biggie Smalls acapella pack if i were u. It's perfect for this kinda thing.

Howdy man,

I have been working on vocal sampling recently :) Not the same style but it sure is the same concept! What I do is grab some accapellas of any tune I can find really, YouTube is a surprisingly good resource, and then listen through until I find a phrase or whatever I really like. Then I normally just go reverb, delay (not always), pitch shift, time stretch. Then I move onto other effects unless I am happy with that result!

Some sort of Urban/Rap sample pack may be up your street! :)

Whilst I'm here.. I actually found two acapellas on my hard drive today. May aswell give them away! Both are Biggie Smalls acapellas: Victory & Runnin'

http://www.mediafire.com/?2lac5ls4p7imsyw

As for isolating vocals.. i've always used a simple process of just ripping something from youtube, then playing around with it in audacity. Audacity has a really useful background noise removal tool which really does work wonders if you figure out how to use it. As for effects, a bit of pitching works well, maybe with some distortion.. reverb.. etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom