Vocal Sampling

Discussion in 'Production' started by Rubs90, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Easy, finishing a tune right now and I wanna apply some nice little vocals but never done it before. Im looking for something of this kind (0:10):

Just a short little modulated phrase, but I have no idea where to start. I tried going for hip hop tracks but cant seem to isolate the elements behind the vocals, just sounds nasty with both tracks playing. Would go for a movie but this sample seems to be from a hip hop track or something like that. In short, I have no idea how to start, and more importantly, how to modulate the vocals after sampling them. What kind of plugins should I use, should I pitch them down an octave, etc etc

Share your tips please, im a bit lost! Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

yup pitch down is all really, perhaps use timestretch so it doesnt affect the timing

3. kenyon

kenyon @ The Crack Spot

Well just get a acapella?? plus an automated pitch down or up aswell easy mate

4. DJWhizzkidd

DJWhizzkidd Member

Your gonna need some acapellas of hip hop/rap tunes first of all. Then go through them until you find a good phrase.

Then do what ever you want to it, there are no rules in terms of how to process it. Just do what sounds good.

5. underspawn

underspawn Well-Known Member

I'd look for the Biggie Smalls acapella pack if i were u. It's perfect for this kinda thing.

6. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Howdy man,

I have been working on vocal sampling recently :) Not the same style but it sure is the same concept! What I do is grab some accapellas of any tune I can find really, YouTube is a surprisingly good resource, and then listen through until I find a phrase or whatever I really like. Then I normally just go reverb, delay (not always), pitch shift, time stretch. Then I move onto other effects unless I am happy with that result!

Some sort of Urban/Rap sample pack may be up your street! :)

7. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

that tune is fucking heavy

8. iamjoey

iamjoey Active Member

Whilst I'm here.. I actually found two acapellas on my hard drive today. May aswell give them away! Both are Biggie Smalls acapellas: Victory & Runnin'

http://www.mediafire.com/?2lac5ls4p7imsyw

As for isolating vocals.. i've always used a simple process of just ripping something from youtube, then playing around with it in audacity. Audacity has a really useful background noise removal tool which really does work wonders if you figure out how to use it. As for effects, a bit of pitching works well, maybe with some distortion.. reverb.. etc.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Cheers for the tips guys, I managed to finish the tune and the vocal sample was pretty cool (sampled a hip hop acapella as suggested), have a listen if you want!

10. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Thanks for the DL joey!

And nice tune Rubs :)

11. Rubs90

Rubs90 KeyControl

Cheers!