Vocal reverb

https://soundcloud.com/shapeshifterlivenz/shapeshifter-gravity-lenzman-1

How do producers get the reverb on vocals sounding so big?. I've tried sound designer and delays and that but can never get that big reverb/atmospheric sound on my vocals.

I know what you mean. I use to used quite a few reverb/space design units and never really enjoy any of them.

There's a couple means to getting that big reverb sound without the mud. I'll quickly offer a few bullet point tidbits that I personally use:

• Reverb on Aux Channel. By sending your Vox channel to a reverb aux, you get to fine tune the reverb per the send pot of the vox channel and get the added bonus of the "thickening" due to the parallel processing of the vocal channel and the return of the aux.
  • Hi Cut/Low Cut that Reverb. You don't have to over do it, just enough to eliminate that potential mud.
  • Compressor After Reverb in Signal Chain. This is something I personally like to do as I find it tames the reverb in the mix quite nicely...It's especially effective when adding reverb to a drum bus...
  • Automate. This is a very overlooked thing when it comes to processing reverb. If the part of your tune that has a vocal has minimal instruments/sounds, then bump up the "send". If it's a more complex part of the song, automate the "send" accordingly to keep the reverb tamed. You don't have to set it to null, but don't set it to a full send value. Automating reverb is especially crucial when producing DnB in my opinion because there is more often than not so much happening in the mix at such a high tempo that the slightest overdoing of reverb (or delay) on any given sound can quickly muddy up the entire mix. In other words, crank the reverb at minimal parts, tame it during "busy" parts.
  • Delay. You mentioned that you haven't had much luck with delay. Here's a little tip for you: Setup an aux channel with delay (like you did with the reverb) and add a compressor after the delay. Now, set the compressor's sidechain to the vox channel. This way, the delay/feedback generated will be attenuated when the vocal signal is hot and will come into the mix when the vocal is not hot. You'll have to experiment a bit with your threshold and ratio to get it sounding right...but it definitely comes in handy. Also, add a hi/low cut after the compressor and adjust to taste. Sometimes cutting the highs down dramatically can add a nice subtle thickness to the delay. Again, it's entirely up to your taste. Also, keep in mind that with a DnB tempo, you'll need to go easy on the delay settings in terms of the delay tempo setting and the feedback amount.
  • Pick a Reverb Plugin and Stick With It. Try some demos of different reverb plugs until you find one the seems to hit the spot, then learn it from the inside/out. Valhalla has two especially wonderful reverb plugins that are quite affordable. If you're using Ableton, the stock reverb plugin is equally outstanding IMO. And if you want free reverb, check out TAL's selection.

Hope this sheds a bit of light for you.

Abby roads used to eq before reverb (aux sends) and would cut off at 500, then 5k. If you put a bigger predelay it'll emphasize it, which seems like it is what you want.

Download a free piece of software called 'channel 3' by airwindows too, it accentuates the additional harmonics, giving a larger sound. That alone won't fix your problem, but your man above seems to have everything else covered. :)

That is some good info. Compression is a huge key in getting any sound big (or trying to get it more big). I will add one point make sure your still EQing the Vocals especially with that amount of reverb on it, just so you don't get muddling of the frequencies. You want headroom for those frequencies especially before Mastering so you can still have the ability to boost, lets say that particular vocal a bit, if it is being swamped by the melody or the bass, or even the percussion. And along with the compression other said, put compressors on parts of your track that are a bit overpowering to help compress them and side chain them perhaps to the vocals. So now there is more headroom for the vocals for further tweaking.
Experiment :D Its a great way to learn your way in the DAWS, hope you get it working for you!

Back
Top Bottom