Vocal processing

higgsy789

Compress...whatt!!
Yo

So I was recording some vocals last night for a track I'm working on, I used a shure sm58 which is okay but I think it's a bit lacking in the high end especially when used on vocals so to compensate I added the standard compression and EQ but then I added some tape saturation and used the exciter on camelphat and it came out with arguably amazing results.

How does everyone else treat their vocals?

I've not done alot of vocal recording on tunes before and I'm interested to learn more....

Priorities are getting a good clean high quality vocal take in the first instance though.

Word to this, it's much easier to re-dub until you get a good take than to try and process a mediocre vocal into something good.

It could also be worth looking into a condensator mic if you have a good recording space. Most of them are very sensitive to noise and interference like pc hum etc. and you also need phantom power to use it. But the recording quality is miles ahead, and you can use it to record anything (depending on the mix of course) like acoustic guitar or some percussions.

SM58's are good mic's, more aimed at a live environment as they're virtually indestructible and parts are easily replaced.

Me and some friends once drove a car over a mic then played a gig with it. It was awesome.

On the vocals I work on I pretty much do what you do, sometimes I put some overdrive on it from my distortion pedal, but turn the drive all the way down. Interesting effect, but pretty unorthodox. :)

It could also be worth looking into a condensator mic

I already have an SE 2200A its just a pain in the ass to use because the only source of phantom power i have is on a huge mixer which i dont keep set up due to space issues (Seriously considering getting a single channel preamp)

Yeah im lazy...and im moslty interested in other types of vocal processing to make more interesting effects, like chopping up/layering/pannning. Sorry I should have said that in my original post

I like to play around with distortion and other crazy effects on vocals too, sometimes they dont even sound like vocals by the end and i just use them in tunes as a sound effect or something.

Back
Top Bottom