Vocal library and help with a moving bass

Boooke

Hey! I'm looking for a vocal library containing something like the vocals in Eddie Vedders' "Big Hard Sun" around 2:33 (Not the extremely "swingy" ones, but more monotone parts).

I've searched for "tribal vocals" and "world vocals", but most of it seems to be indian women crazing a little too much out.

Also, its a bit simple, but I still have a hard time figuring it out...

At 0:41 the bass kicks in.

How do you make it so moving? I'm currently trying with two sines, one a octave higher than the other. A little distortion in the low end, just to make it rumble a little and otherwise clear the mids and high frequencies. I've made it mono-legato. Is there more to it? Thinking some heavy sidechaining to make the bass increase so much in gain when it bends up higher in pitch.

Regards,
Boooke

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! I'm looking for a vocal library containing something like the vocals in Eddie Vedders' "Big Hard Sun" around 2:33 (Not the extremely "swingy" ones, but more monotone parts).

I've searched for "tribal vocals" and "world vocals", but most of it seems to be indian women crazing a little too much out.

Also, its a bit simple, but I still have a hard time figuring it out...

At 0:41 the bass kicks in.

How do you make it so moving? I'm currently trying with two sines, one a octave higher than the other. A little distortion in the low end, just to make it rumble a little and otherwise clear the mids and high frequencies. I've made it mono-legato. Is there more to it? Thinking some heavy sidechaining to make the bass increase so much in gain when it bends up higher in pitch.

Regards,
Boooke

1. For the vox sample pack, go check out Zero-G. All of their vocal packs are of the utmost highest quality. I own the entire library and constantly find great bits of inspiration. They also offer vocal packs specializing in Middle-Eastern/Foreign/Exotic styles. Before purchasing, sign up for their newsletter–they have fantastic coupon codes and specials on a regular basis.

2. I definitely wouldn't combine a pair of sine waves, especially with one a higher octave than the other...that's asking for trouble in the long run. Rather than stacking sines, why not combine a full sine with a touch of a square wave slightly distorted. Mix the Osc into the sounds just enough until you start to hear it–you don't want to overdo it as you're simply trying to add a bit more to the harmonic content. And as Attire said, don't distort your low end. However, a very small amount of overdrive can really add some nice "umph."

Another option is essentially create two subs: a "high" sub (Low cut at 200Hz, perhaps an octave higher) and a "low" sub (hi cut around 70Hz) and route them to a bus where you can then add a very small amount of compression to "glue" them (the Cytomic "Glue" Compressor is great for this).

Furthermore, you can add a bit of overdrive to the "hi" sub channel to introduce some harmonics so that your sub sounds can cut through a mix when played on a system that lacks subwoofers (ex. iPhone, tablet, etc.).

Please note: The frequency cutoff values I've provided are for reference only and will have to be adjusted in relation to the tune. In other words, these values are not static.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, and thanks to you both for helping out.

I'm gonna try make something like that sound tonight with the suggestions. Quite earfatiqued, and my muscles are so tired of chewing through all my Riesen chocolate inventory, right now :)

1. For the vox sample pack, go check out Zero-G. All of their vocal packs are of the utmost highest quality. I own the entire library and constantly find great bits of inspiration. The also offer vocal packs specializing in Middle-Eastern/Foreign/Exotic styles. Before purchasing, sign up for their newsletter–they have fantastic coupon codes and specials on a regular basis.

Thanks for the link. Have you tried the vocaloid stuff they make? Except for the heavily J-Pop oriented versions, they seem to be fair. On the other hand it sound like something, that possibly blows hot air.

Hey guys, and thanks to you both for helping out.

I'm gonna try make something like that sound tonight with the suggestions. Quite earfatiqued, and my muscles are so tired of chewing through all my Riesen chocolate inventory, right now :)

Thanks for the link. Have you tried the vocaloid stuff they make? Except for the heavily J-Pop oriented versions, they seem to be fair. On the other hand it sound like something, that possibly blows hot air.

Personally, I find the vocaloid series to be complete rubbish. On paper it seems like a great concept. In practice, it sucks balls and is not worth the cost of admission. The problem I have is that they all sound so artificial...and not in a good way...very cheesy. Perhaps one day someone will create an "instrument" capable of truly creating unique, custom vocals capable of being composed in a series manner for a pro-level tune. For now though, your best bet is to scour SoundCloud for artists offering free original vox/acapellas, or to invest in some vocal sample packs. Unless you're into J-Pop. ;)

Hah, allright. Well, I'll steer away from that then. The "world vocals" pack seems like my choice. They had me at the demo, pretty funky stuff.

By the way, you pretty much hit the nail with the sub bass. I'm playing a little around with it now, hehee :teeth:

Hah, allright. Well, I'll steer away from that then. The "world vocals" pack seems like my choice. They had me at the demo, pretty funky stuff.

By the way, you pretty much hit the nail with the sub bass. I'm playing a little around with it now, hehee :teeth:

Nice! Glad to be of service. :)

Back
Top Bottom