Vocal FX

Niceneasyuk

Just wandering, how do you make vocals sound like they're whispering when they're not ie. is it even possible! For instance i've got a sample of an old woman saying 'the depths of reality' but i want it sound like she's whispering it in your ear sorta thing. At the moment she's very clean(i nicked it from a documentary).Any tips are welcome!

I'm not a wise sounding old lady nor american, it's a theme i've got going on throughout the tune! ;)

you cant really turn a voice into a whisper as it is a completely different sound...u could make it sound more eerie by pitching it down a bit double it up with the same sample with a bit of reverb or echo...experiment with layers...but i can almost garantee it will be near impossible to make it sound like a propa whisper...

text to speech converters (basic ones, like the one in FL studio) have a whisper option I used sometimes. sounds a bit robotic, but with some effects it can be really nice!
- I basicly need to edit an existing sample :), i'm sure there must be a way, i'm using reason, so no VST's which is a pain in the arse as i bet someone somwheres made a vst for it!

you cant really turn a voice into a whisper as it is a completely different sound...u could make it sound more eerie by pitching it down a bit double it up with the same sample with a bit of reverb or echo...experiment with layers...but i can almost garantee it will be near impossible to make it sound like a propa whisper...

I'm going to use high pass distortion and the tinyest bit of white noise, put it all through a low pass and then reverb it with echo!... i'll let you know how it goes.

- I basicly need to edit an existing sample :), i'm sure there must be a way, i'm using reason, so no VST's which is a pain in the arse as i bet someone somwheres made a vst for it!

bruv...think about it...a voice is different from a whisper...

a whisper is raspy n comes from the mouth...a voice is full and comes from the lungs/diaphragm

you best bet is to just twist it up with the same sample layered with different effects...

make it sound like whispering when the sample is not whispering eh? hmm! are you looking for sorta ghostly type vox? try reversing the sample, adding reverb and then reverse back again u can get a cool effect that way, not sure if thats what ur lookin for (and as ur using reason the reverse part would have to be done in another sample editor if u got one)

either way using reverb and delay will help the vox float about more and give them more depth

Go get Camel Audio's ALchemy -- that'll make her whisper -- granular synthesis to timestretch the formants + some Hipass will get you there too

Back
Top Bottom