Vocal FX

Discussion in 'Production' started by Niceneasyuk, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Niceneasyuk

Niceneasyuk Member

Just wandering, how do you make vocals sound like they're whispering when they're not ie. is it even possible! For instance i've got a sample of an old woman saying 'the depths of reality' but i want it sound like she's whispering it in your ear sorta thing. At the moment she's very clean(i nicked it from a documentary).Any tips are welcome!

2. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

whisper it yourself and record it!

3. Reactor Grits

Reactor Grits lick a shot

text to speech converters (basic ones, like the one in FL studio) have a whisper option I used sometimes. sounds a bit robotic, but with some effects it can be really nice!

4. Niceneasyuk

Niceneasyuk Member

I'm not a wise sounding old lady nor american, it's a theme i've got going on throughout the tune! ;)

5. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

you cant really turn a voice into a whisper as it is a completely different sound...u could make it sound more eerie by pitching it down a bit double it up with the same sample with a bit of reverb or echo...experiment with layers...but i can almost garantee it will be near impossible to make it sound like a propa whisper...

6. Niceneasyuk

Niceneasyuk Member

- I basicly need to edit an existing sample :), i'm sure there must be a way, i'm using reason, so no VST's which is a pain in the arse as i bet someone somwheres made a vst for it!

7. Niceneasyuk

Niceneasyuk Member

I'm going to use high pass distortion and the tinyest bit of white noise, put it all through a low pass and then reverb it with echo!... i'll let you know how it goes.

8. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

bruv...think about it...a voice is different from a whisper...

a whisper is raspy n comes from the mouth...a voice is full and comes from the lungs/diaphragm

you best bet is to just twist it up with the same sample layered with different effects...

9. Niceneasyuk

Niceneasyuk Member

I've it all sounding like a whisper bar the D' in 'the depth of reality' , like you said it's to pronounced. nevermind!

10. kama

kama benkama.net

Waves has a plug-in called morphoder i think it was that has a whisper preset I've gotten to try a few times. It can work on some vocals but most sounded just weird and wrong.

11. funkmod

funkmod Member

maybe if u ask the great dnb god he will grant your wish ;D

12. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

in cooledit (audition nowadays) there is an option under noise reduce called 'keep only noise' effectively turning any speech sample into a whisper.

13. Ketz

Ketz Thinkin outside the box..

make it sound like whispering when the sample is not whispering eh? hmm! are you looking for sorta ghostly type vox? try reversing the sample, adding reverb and then reverse back again u can get a cool effect that way, not sure if thats what ur lookin for (and as ur using reason the reverse part would have to be done in another sample editor if u got one)

either way using reverb and delay will help the vox float about more and give them more depth

14. sati

sati Code Monkey

Go get Camel Audio's ALchemy -- that'll make her whisper -- granular synthesis to timestretch the formants + some Hipass will get you there too