Virus ti snow - Bass Growls

rotein

Hey fellas, I'm tryna get them "growl / filter opening / distorted / farting / short bass hits/stabs"

I'm using a virus ti snow and think this is the perfect tool for the job but it's fkn complecated!

Anyone got any links to tutorials on it or advice on how to achieve this sound (preferably using the virus but anything at all would be good)

I don't want to use samples, I want full control on the filter opening etc.

Really appreciate if anyone can help.

Cheers

I think the neuro stuff is more of a moving evolving sound but parts of it are like what I want, I think "womps" sound more like what I want - "womp - womp" ?

Ive got an old c so not sure about snow. If snow has got phase or some sort of extra oscillator that has its own pitch, Ie. you can change the note. Then you can get some sick reece womps. Exactly like that old jump up, but still effective. Then apply a lfo or env to the amplitude, if you can start the amplitude so it beings at after 0db and ends at max, then great, but if not the womps wont be as good really. If you can change the shapes of lfos then do that aswell. A normal sine is alright but if you can make it so the rise of the lfo is a normal sine, then the tail is steeper, like a quicker drop, then your in luck.

That is down to opening and closing filters. I could probably make a quick vid if that helps. Its not exactly easy it takes some good sound design. The best way to get that type of sound is to start with saws, detune them, add some distortion, and play around with the low pass or bandpass filter, thats the basis. Then just play around with all the waveforms untill you like the sound. If your on logic, what I do is firstly add overdrive, put some of that in, then maybe compression or reverb, then add another distortion like ohmicide. ohmicide from my experience tends to take away filter openings and just makes more of a sustained sound. But then just re add the modulation, like add another filter, fab filter volcano is great, so easy to make sick filters. But just remember that most of those sounds in the clip are down to the plugins you add afterwords, but not in all cases. Some sounds can be sick from the word go, like using massive and fucking about with the phase pitch while playing around with the waveform pitch.

Legend man, a quick vid would be wicked if you got the time and inclination, until then, I'd better get to work an see what I can come up with.

Cheers fella

Made an attempt at a video, but tbf, everyone you need to know can be said in 1 sentence. 1 make bass with distortion. 2 apply low pass filter and modulate the cutoff parameter, with envelope or if you can, by using a midi keyboard. 3 add second distortion outside of your synth, you might need to add a filter after the second distortion, might not. If you wanna get them wompy synths, just apply an envelope or lfo so you have a bit longer attack than usual, so when you play the sound, it rises shortly. Some of those sounds in that tune dont even use an envelope that much, its just blips of a longer sustained sound.

starting at 1:40 are some examples that are done on a Virus TI

the one below is probably a little less similar to what you're looking for, alot of droning sounds but maybe if you were to speed up the lfo or perhaps map the parameters to the soft knobs then you'd have more control over the opening/closing of the filters used in the patches to make them more growly. typically alot of fx chain processing is put into making growls but these 2 links are the closest examples i could find that are right out of the virus.

its always nice to start with a beautiful virus growl but it doesnt actually matter that much. if you know your e-mu, it doesnt matter what synth you use if you have your saturation, overdrive, distortion and layering down. but man alive the virus sounds nice. still though, ed and op used a... an old akai? maybe? i think it was, shit i forget. but i think there is a freeware vsti that is based on it thats supposed to be pretty good. its called bassline MK-III or something

here you go mate. this taught me the basics. it's a bit vague and make sure you push the envelopes of the filters about half way. don't think they mention in the video. trial and error https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sA9qve7-BE

- - - Updated - - -

deconstructing the anaconda patch helps a bit. try putting it back together to get variations. Also logics is right on the money with that comment. i have a virus but make most of my nuero sounds with massive as the macros just make it a faster work flow or me. Btw you can still adjust the filter cut off of samples via any sampler and really mess with the lfo and create your own sounds by automating the modulation of already made sounds for almost instant inspiration. i try and make as much of my own noise as possible but samples defo have a place.by the time i finish with a piece of a sample it's usually so different than how it started that it really is another form of sound design and worth having in your arsenal of design techniques. oh yeah frequency split(resample) the whole time as well for further dimension to the sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom