Virus B + Logic 9 Setup Advice

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Through a bit of luck I was able to purchase a Virus B desktop module for a helluva deal.

My assumption is that I'll need to connect my novation sl25 to the Virus via MIDI, connect the Virus B 1/4" outputs to my Duet 2 and then create two tracks in Logic: one external instrument (for Virus MIDI) and then an input monitor enabled track with the inputs set to Duet 2 inputs.

Is this correct or am I missing a step...or missing the mark entirely?

Cheers.

Nope, the first Generation Duet 2 lacks MIDI unfortunately. I figured my MIDI keyboard would trigger the notes sent to the module. Though now that I think of, would that mean that I could record MIDI notes and audio (sending) but not the MIDI from the pots of the module for automation for example?

I don't really know how to explain this but when I use my E-MU sampler

The modulations, (filter frequency, resonance etc) have a corresponding number to them. I move the knob/slider I want to use and then dial that number into my MIDI keyboard so the knob/slider knows which E-MU parameter it is controlling.

If your MIDI keyboard doesn't have a MIDI in and out I don't think you could use your Virus like that, You'd probably have to do everything live.

I'm sorry if I'm making no sense at all haha
BTW I just got a Virus Snow, they sound amazing don't they.

I don't really know how to explain this but when I use my E-MU sampler

The modulations, (filter frequency, resonance etc) have a corresponding number to them. I move the knob/slider I want to use and then dial that number into my MIDI keyboard so the knob/slider knows which E-MU parameter it is controlling.

If your MIDI keyboard doesn't have a MIDI in and out I don't think you could use your Virus like that, You'd probably have to do everything live.

I'm sorry if I'm making no sense at all haha
BTW I just got a Virus Snow, they sound amazing don't they.

All good, it totally makes sense! My SL25 actually has MIDI In/Out so I think I'll be alright. How's your experience with the Snow going?

I actually contacted Access and, much to my surprise, they are sending me some documentation with regards to the setup and updating of the OS.

[off topic] I really can't speak highly enough about Access' customer service...the fact they responded fast and were willing to help me with one of their legacy products without charging me some absurd customer service fee is enough to lock me as a customer for life. Perhaps I'll sell some internal organs to I can purchase something from the Ti2 series, lol.

I've become a sucker for hardware lately. I bought the MiniBrute and loved it, but I needed something more due to the fact that I wanted to really get my hands on something with more OSCs as well as polyphony to create more complex sounds. I returned it, hopped on ebay and made a low-ball offer to a seller that he surprisingly accepted for his mint Virus B module.

Now I'm just waiting for that sumbitch to arrive in the mail...

Back
Top Bottom