Virtual vs Real instruments

Wellsy

VIP Junglist
Hey guys, im still learning the production game and was wondering whether or not you can get better results from recording things like Bass Guitars as opposed to creating your own virtual analog sounds? Obviously by creating from scratch you can suit it to whatever you need but I'm thinking you could get a real nice clean bass tone by using a fretless bass maybe?

reckon it depends on what sound you are trying to make.
if you are going for a "live" bass-player sound then yeah recording should sound more authentic.
but if you could just add in effects to a virtual bass and alter timing/velocity to make is sound more "live"

Recording real instruments tend to sound more natural than programmed instruments (obviously). If you have a bad ass bass guitar player laying down a bass track, nobody will be able to replicate that. The musician will bring acertain character and groove to the track that you wont be able to create using midi sequencing.

If you can afford session musicians or can play bass guitar then I'd always chose live over virtual, unless I specificly wanted the sound to be virtual.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I should elaborate more...I know there completely different sounds and I'm not keen on the live bass sound, but wanted to know for example if its easier to manipulate a recorded bass wave and create something similar to alot of Breaks's basslines.

e.g Break's Trying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xml0YZi-OCE

I have a standard guitar and recording facility ( Guitar Port) so toying with the idea of getting a cheapish bass and work on some basslines

Last edited:
Thread title is somewhat misleading if you are being specific to one instrument....

I think it would be a matter of personal preference whether recorded bass is easier to manipulate than a vst.

In regards to sound, no bit of virtual gear will ever be able to perfectly emulate a real world instrument, eg. if you want a really authentic sounding Grand Piano you would be best off just recording an actual Grand Piano.

Yeah sorry is a tad bit misleading:rinsed: I knew what I meant in my head :p what I meant was using a basic bass guitar sample as the intial sound rather than a low frequency type sound created in a virtual synth and processing it from there on.

its a good q. id say that virtual instruments are more versatile than samples if you can get them to sound realistic

i recently made a Massive patch that sounds scarily like a Hammond organ

With a VST you will working with MIDI which is way more flexible than working with sampled audio. With a sample you will only be able to add FX, chop it strecth it etc.... With a synth you have way more parameters and buttons to mess with and many more editing options.

ive got a bass guitar - sometimes i jam out an idea for a bassline on it. but then i would write that bass into the daw.
easier for me to work with midi rather than audio.

Back
Top Bottom