Vinyls skipping on first beat when queing

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by hyperd4eva, Sep 5, 2012.

1. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

all you vinyl heads out there.. me and a few mates have noticed that more and more new tunes are being pressed that are a mission to que up without it skipping on the first beat. I checked my needles etc but seems to be the way they are pressed.

Thought id start a thread to see if anyone else having this issue with newer releases recently?

2. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

yeah certain tune deffinately do. tends to be ones with a loud first beat for me. also, everyone i know that has timewarp finds it skips at the beggining all the time

3. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

you reckon its the tune then and not the pressing?

4. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

I dunno man, there are some exemptions to the rule where its a fairly quiet intro and it still skips. I dont see what they couldve changed to make it happen so much, but it does seem more frequent in the last year or so

5. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Im finding pretty much every serato timecode i use skips the first bar. Might have something to do with low counterweight and pushing it off pretty hard :/

6. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

Probably those cheap decks u got done tone :teeth:

But seriously ensure tone arms are straight, weights are set to manufactures recommendation and tune ur anti skating.

Failing that u might need new stylus'

Or now this might sound a bit overlooked but have u taken ur carts off and dusted them off properly? Some stylus' come with a lil brush which is good for dusting and also maintaining pubic regions.

7. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in the other thread about vinyl prices, I have never found this.
    Like Teddy said, sure its not your styli? Or your tone arm / anti skate not set up properly?

8. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Iv checked it out man needles are pretty new. Its not all tunes just certain ones. Not the end of the world!

9. theraw

theraw Member

I've only ever found it with certain tunes personally, can't think which ones off the top of my head but i know my copy of Airplane is really bad for it. Sometimes it's caused by the centre hole of the record being slightly too big for the spindle making it move slightly when you handle it, make sure you check for that, you can fix it by cutting some bits of sticky tape and taping them through the centre hole until it's round (bit shit i know but does the job)

Which tunes of yours are skipping?

10. hyperd4eva

hyperd4eva H&M SCARVES

Wicked man ill try that out