Vinyl..

Digital has just given us a ton of idiots who think they are DJ's but most havent learnt the craft of DJing on vinyl first

Not exactly true Wayne. You can still dj well and have learnt on CDJs.. But yeh, mixing on vinyl is fun and does teach you a fair bit which cdjs wont.

theres the opposite aswell ^^^^

people that used to be sick djs with vinyls, but turned shit when they got their hands on serato. lol !

still using vinyl for everything apart own tunes, dubs and digi only, its just too fucking expensive to cut dubs!

i'm thinking of going digital more just for space, will be a sad time for me as i loved recieving all those 12" shiney black slabs of audio gold. Another thing that puts me off is I had loadsa mp3s for my serato n my laptop died n i lost it all, lesson learned back your shit up

Not exactly true Wayne. You can still dj well and have learnt on CDJs.. But yeh, mixing on vinyl is fun and does teach you a fair bit which cdjs wont.

But if you're a DJ, you have to have learnt at least the basics using 2 pieces of wax. Most people nowadays think buying a laptop and serato and a few downloads constitutes them being a DJ, which it fucking doesnt. All digital has done is make people who like music think they are DJ's when they havent put in the work of shit and unpaid gigs, lugging tunes about and bad equipment

Groelle you're worrying me now. I've just bought Serato (still in it's box) please tell me it's exactly the same as using vinyl?

But if you're a DJ, you have to have learnt at least the basics using 2 pieces of wax. Most people nowadays think buying a laptop and serato and a few downloads constitutes them being a DJ, which it fucking doesnt. All digital has done is make people who like music think they are DJ's when they havent put in the work of shit and unpaid gigs, lugging tunes about and bad equipment

This is technology for you, it wont get any better. Give it another 15 years and people will think CDJS are old technology.

i've done unpaid gigs, and try learning on a pair of cdjs that decide they want to skip randomly, doesn't exactly make life easy..

i get your point in a way, but you can't just tar everyone who djs digitally with the same brush. the principles of beatmatching, blending and tune selection are still essentially the same, its just slightly less physical i guess

I've tried forcing myself to use CDJ's when im playing out but every experience ive had is fucking horrendous. Really has put me off nearly completely, but with the some of the terrible set ups you have to play on nowadays sometimes you have no choice.

i've done unpaid gigs, and try learning on a pair of cdjs that decide they want to skip randomly, doesn't exactly make life easy..

i get your point in a way, but you can't just tar everyone who djs digitally with the same brush. the principles of beatmatching, blending and tune selection are still essentially the same, its just slightly less physical i guess

Yeah but to me, learning to DJ was always about using two turntables and practising your arse off. Not gettiing a laptop or CDJ and reading the bpms on a screen display.

Yeah but to me, learning to DJ was always about using two turntables and practising your arse off. Not gettiing a laptop or CDJ and reading the bpms on a screen display.

yeah thats true. but my cdjs don't do that (well in theory they do but when i've got two songs locked and one says its 179 and the other says 168 you tend to ignore it).
its horses for courses i guess some people might just use the bpm counter others don't.

Groelle you're worrying me now. I've just bought Serato (still in it's box) please tell me it's exactly the same as using vinyl?

it is somehow. but to me the waveforms disctract more than actually help anything.

and what i really meant was that tune selection went downhill, not necessarily beatmatching, altho the dj i got in mind is still better at that with vinyl. fucking shame he switched imo ..

yeah thats true. but my cdjs don't do that (well in theory they do but when i've got two songs locked and one says its 179 and the other says 168 you tend to ignore it).
its horses for courses i guess some people might just use the bpm counter others don't.

This, I dont look at the bpms when mixing, there is no need.

People have always had that attitude to be honest.

Loads of people were buying cheaper brand direct drives in the 90's and calling themselves a DJ. It was easy to pick up cheap soundlabs, gemini's or a Numark starter kit and start spinning.

The format of releases has changed so people are buying digital equipment instead.

You don't have to mix on vinyl to be a "real" DJ.

People have always had that attitude to be honest.

Loads of people were buying cheaper brand direct drives in the 90's and calling themselves a DJ. It was easy to pick up cheap soundlabs, gemini's or a Numark starter kit and start spinning.

The format of releases has changed so people are buying digital equipment instead.

You don't have to mix on vinyl to be a "real" DJ.

But buying shit decks isnt the same idea. At least if you practise on turntables (whatever make) you get down the basic idea of how to mix two records/tunes together. You may not have to use vinyl to be a real DJ, but you should have used vinyl as a start point no matter what you move onto. Plain and simple

I dont under stand all this 'real' dj stuff. basically if you mix music you are a dj! whether it be on digital or vinyl its the same principle.

I totally understand why people use vinyl as it is so much fun and more rewarding. but i also understand why people go for mixing on cdj's. End of the day if u mix your a dj but it doesnt make any one else less of a DJ for using digital.

End of the day its down to skill and people get recognised for there mixing skiills. not for what format they use in my opinion

But buying shit decks isnt the same idea. At least if you practise on turntables (whatever make) you get down the basic idea of how to mix two records/tunes together. You may not have to use vinyl to be a real DJ, but you should have used vinyl as a start point no matter what you move onto. Plain and simple

Cue up, move pitch.

You don't really need vinyl to do that to be honest.

The difference is minor in my opinion. One you physically push off, the other you press a button. They're hardly worlds apart if you're looking at the basics of mixing two tracks together.

Back
Top Bottom