Vinyl Turntables / mixer / preamp / powered moniters... Help needed!

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by thetruth, Sep 10, 2010.

1. thetruth

thetruth New Member

I'm new to Djing with vinyl. I have two direct drive turntables, a mixer, and some powered speakers/moniters (whatever you want to call them) But i have no vinyl as of yet! So havnt been able to do any testing.

What i really want to ask people is...Will i be able to run the turntables through the mixer via phono and out directly into the powered speakers? (and if so what will this do to the quality of the sound?)

I've been reading about preamps, and am not sure whether my Numark DM 1002 MK2 mixer has one built in or not....does anyone know about this? If it doesnt then i'll need one, so can anyone else give me any ideas of their setups??

I'd really apprieciate any help.

Thanks.

thetruth.

2. djad

djad leo the lion

Easiet set up is to buy a semi decent hi fi with an aux channel - bobs you uncle youll be able to play straight away.. All you have to do is get the red/white wire outta the master output of the mixer then plug those stright into the bck of the hifi were youll see the holes (technical term) marked red/white. turn your hifi to aux and they should play straight off.

this is a good way to learn and simple/cheap

3. thetruth

thetruth New Member

Cheers man sounds like a good idea. i dont really have a hifi, well not anywhere near decent one. Ive got a powerful set of 2.1 computer speakers though. So after havin a little look on the internet i think i might connect the output from the mixer to (possibly a preamp 1st if needed and then..) the computer speakers (which are powered) using a 2x male rca to 3.5mm jack. Then i could sell the active speakers i was intending on using to fund some vinyls from dnbsource or somewhere.

Still if any one has more opinion or info on this matter please type it down.

peace.

thetruth.