Vinyl to Mp3 conversion

Symmetry

:confused: :confused: Yo..
So I'm thinking of slowly starting the painstaking process of trying to digitally convert my record collection of 10+ years and am wondering what some of you other Dj's have done and what might be the best way to do it.

I'm running a Macbook 13 inch with 2 GB RAM w 120G HD
I downloaded Switch audio converter for OSX which covers plenty of formats but haven't really used it.
I'm wondering what other options there are like maybe just importing to iTunes?

Should I use an external soundcard or run audio usb or firewire direct from my mixer?
Save files as Wav or Mp3?

I'm a digital noob and don't even use CDJ's.
I swore I'd never leave the Vinyl but times are changing and I find I can't always rock out on turntables..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks mate;
I was looking at the iKey too for recording mixes instantly to your iPod.. but it has no adjustment for levels when recording sets.
ikey_plus_overview.jpg

I used to use cubase but my copy of it was lost when my hard drive crashed..
Soju .. goes well with Poweraide.

Last edited:
I do it simply by using a really decent phono to jack cable, Goldwave to record, 320kbps, mp3 at a 96000 sample rate for most definition. No quality lost at all for me, its long winded but worth it. Hope that helps

From my mixer I run agood quality phono to double jack to a Lexicon audio interface that links via USB to my computer, recording it through Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 11. I record initially as wav, then use the features in Magix ACL to take out any unwanted sounds, scratches or defects and set the levels (even possible to do stereo imaging, surround sound levels and EQ but I don't bother) then export it at CD quality. This gives me pretty good results for both sets and individual songs.

Using a firewire audio interface would be one step up but the Lexicon USB range are have almost no lag or quality lose incomparison to other USB audio interfaces.

Back
Top Bottom