Vinyl Skipping

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Yo. recently, I've been havin a few problems with a select few of my vinyls. Upsettingly... its the good ones. Basically, the needle will just skip about 5mm of vinyl and then carry on playing. I was thinking this could be down to wear and tear but its happened to one or two vinyls that i dont actually play that often. It would be understandable if I reloaded it 500 times in a row.

With one of them, I cleaned it and it seemed to work ok for a while until, undoubtedly, its started happening again.

I've only had the vinyls for just over a year and most of them for not even that.

Any ideas on why this is happening and also, are there any tips on how to keep my vinyls clean?

Thanks

u might not have ur tone arm weighted properly or maybe using cheap needles.. wouldn't explain why only certain records do it but might be worth checking out!

Definitely a tone arm issue it sounds like. What decks do you have a what needles?

The biggest issue with this is :
a. how your tone arm height, weight, anti skate are set up.
b. if all of the above are correct it's your needles. I used to
use Numark groovetools (shit) and all of my records used to
jump. Now I have Ortofons and I don't think any of my records
have jumped ever! Basically get good quality needles and carts.
Sometimes you do get records that are just shit pressings.
The best way to deal with this is to make sure its good when
you listen to it in the shop.
Hope that helps mate.

The biggest issue with this is :
a. how your tone arm height, weight, anti skate are set up.
b. if all of the above are correct it's your needles. I used to
use Numark groovetools (shit) and all of my records used to
jump.
Now I have Ortofons and I don't think any of my records
have jumped ever! Basically get good quality needles and carts.
Sometimes you do get records that are just shit pressings.
The best way to deal with this is to make sure its good when
you listen to it in the shop.
Hope that helps mate.

LOL Rob mate, ive had these on my Technics since i got them and never had a problem.....

im after 3 Shure Whitelabels, as ive heard good things about them (y)

LOL Rob mate, ive had these on my Technics since i got them and never had a problem.....

im after 3 Shure Whitelabels, as ive heard good things about them (y)

I reckon that shows the quality of Technics decks that even with low quality needles they can pull through.
Sure whitlables are supposed to be very good but from my experience go Ortofon man.
Seriously I have never been so impressed with such small peices of kit.

I reckon that shows the quality of Technics decks that even with low quality needles they can pull through.
Sure whitlables are supposed to be very good but from my experience go Ortofon man.

Yeah, once I went Ortofon I never went back to anything else. They are amazing needles.

what do ones do you have and what are the cheapest Ortofon's cos i know that their pretty expensive??

maybe the antiskating adjust?
put the arm weight to 0 g. and when the needle is "flying" move the antiskating to make that the arm will stand on the midle of the vinyl long.
sorry sorry for my spanglishh xD

i wouldnt have thought its your needles if its only happening to a few vinyl. sounds stupidly obvious but are the vinyl warped? If theyre not then maybe the hole in the vinyl is too big?

Why not save a little longer and get the dearer ones? No point paying cheap for something that aint gonna cut it two months down the line imo.

lol man ive had the same cheap needles for a year and they where £30 for 2

lol man ive had the same cheap needles for a year and they where £30 for 2

Same ere I think I used the same needles for a good few years before upgrading, and the difference was pretty noticable clairty is pretty important when it come to music or is that just me:D

Same ere I think I used the same needles for a good few years before upgrading, and the difference was pretty noticable clairty is pretty important when it come to music or is that just me:D

safe

just noticed your from Scotland

where abouts you live

what do ones do you have and what are the cheapest Ortofon's cos i know that their pretty expensive??

Ive just got the OM DJS's mounted on Technics headshells.
At the minute there about £95 due to the recession. If you leave
it a few months and let it pass they will drop back to £65 or so.
The needles just last and last and sound amazing. The never skip and they look amazing.
There are some slightly cheaper ones as well. But these are the ones
that are good for everything.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/carts_styli/ortofon/omdjs

Back
Top Bottom