Vinyl sales up 55% on last year!

I can understand why dance music vinyl sales have gone up, but why indie and pop?

I dont see why indie/pop kids would buy vinyl these days, nobody dj's that shit.

People buy vinyl for timeless classics. If you got MJ thriller in imaculate condition on vinyl think how much you will sell that bitch for in 30 years!

Vinyl by The Beatles go for thousands

Its not a massive market any more by any means but there are still die hards and collectors who spend plenty of cash on wax and long may it continue

ive always been a vinyl man.. Ive got thousands but there are so many wicked tunes by lesser known ppl on mp3.

I think rock, pop, 7" singles have gone up cause of hipsters and their neesd to be cool..

out of interest, anyone know how man units an average single, for example, sells?
like how man does x label print and how many do they sell

well one chance/labrinth was a limited run of 300 and that seemed to be hard to pick up! but the nature of limited editions changes things i guess

yeh that and the alix perez 1984 singles (only 500) were very limited and sold fast but now i wonder how many labels would press for then 500??
I guess the big ones would knowing they'll make money but smaller labels, Sci Wax, alphacut come to mind, just curious to to how many they press? anyone work for or know those label dudes?

I remember reading that usually the minimum number of units you can get pressed in bulk is 500 so for a small label it would be around 500 sales and for a big tune maybe 3000.

i could be talking out ofmy ass tho

I remember reading that usually the minimum number of units you can get pressed in bulk is 500 so for a small label it would be around 500 sales and for a big tune maybe 3000.

i could be talking out ofmy ass tho
Ya those days are over. An average single on a given label is probably like 400-500 copies.. so I guess everything is "limited edition" now.

Well I'd say it's also about hype. You get to know that the single is limited (exact number of copies pressed) so you go buy it right away because you won't risk it to sell out and slip through your fingers (take for example One Chance/Labyrinth or Breathing Again/Redemption, both sold out in few days). Regular press can also be 300/500 copies but most of us aren't aware of that so we are not rushing for those and they barely ever sell out.

take for example One Chance/Labyrinth

Almost missed that myself. Managed to grab a copy from http://surus.co.uk, which is a store a lot of labels use. They always seem to have the last few copies. And they give you the 320s free when you buy vinyl from them. Because they sell directly for the labels they get the test presses and whites in first too. Highly recommend.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

In response to the whole convo... serato & vinyl combined gives you the best of both worlds

I spend a lot of money on vinyl... I hope that Drum & Bass will continue to be released on vinyl. I hate when a tune that I like comes out digitally only but thankfully that doesn't happen that often.

Back
Top Bottom