Vinyl releases?

Phase Locked

Ive been away from Dnb for a long time but have come back. I've lost track of where things have gone.

I understand its all about digital releases and controllers, but Im still very much a vinyl head. I see some stuff coming out on vinyl, but is this an exception? Is most stuff released digital only now? I don't mind being out of date but If I want to play with new stuff are controllers a must?

vinyl is still a thing, there's still half a dozen of new releases every week: http://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/drum-and-bass/new-releases. Some people buy it but mostly collectable items. fancy shining multicolor layered prints seem to be a thing in the last 3-5 years, I personally prefer a black press.
Other than that you have some people spinning on Serato/Traktor which works with vinyl or cds.
Controllers aren't much of a thing, apart from home use, especially since most clubs don't offer controllers - people would need to bring it themselves. The standard is still pioneer cdj's altho some only support usb nowadays. I'd say most people use usb sticks. To have your usb's prepared with playlists so you'll have a bit what of an overview or define cue points etc. people use recordbox.

There's a few of us still staying true :)

Most big releases still make 12" but you do miss an awful lot of good music unfortunately...

I still buy vinyl but for some reason never really even mix anymore without using traktor. the past 4 months worth of tunes i have bought have not even made it on a turntable yet!

haven't touched CDs in weeks. basically becoming vinyl only now myself too. plenty of stuff out there

100% vinyl here, its a far cry from a few years ago when there were loads of releases every month but if you are patient enough for the long game there is plenty out there to keep you interested.

All sorts of good stuff still poppin up on Redeye, Juno, etc. Also a lot of stuff thats sold direct from labels, or shops like samurai music group that support multiple labels. Bandcamp has some great vinyl releases up, and they've recently updated the feature that allows you to browse releases, so you can now specifically look for new drum and bass on vinyl.

The thing about the vinyl market at the moment though I feel that if you are the sort of person who has a very clear and defined "sound" as a DJ or if you have very selective tastes you might have a hard time finding enough records to keep you happy, like if ALL YOU LIKE is Neuro stuff, or Liquid or whatever you may find that there isnt enough out there to keep it interesting.

If you are happy to mix it up a little though, and buy the odd liquid thing, the odd roller, the odd more jungley bit or the occasional techy banger then there is more than enough to keep you going, and tbh you end up being a more interesting DJ that way anyway so as far as I am concerned it is a win-win situation.

right on verge of canning vinyl releases tbh. sales have dropped to a point where the loss is just too great every time.

Obsolete medium. I think the cost of manufacture now far outweighs the actual profit margin for indie labels so its going to fizzle out slowly.

More that digital sales can recoup? Shame it's heading that way for you guys

digital sales are on a massive decline as well for everyone btw. everyone's moving to streaming, and there's no way that can cover the massive vinyl losses.

Really sad news.

So many people think they aren't hurting anyone by either downloading or just buying digi but that's just so shortsighted. It's the attitude that they are entitled to the the music without having to pay the price.

"Vinyl's too expensive and I can get 5 tunes for the price of one"

Well just buy the one then and stop being bloody entitled! If you can't afford it, then accept you can't have it.....jeeeez! Don't shit on the industry just because you're greedy....

digital sales are on a massive decline as well for everyone btw. everyone's moving to streaming, and there's no way that can cover the massive vinyl losses.

yeh fair enough, is this industry wide though (as in electronic/dance music) ?

i still buy vinyl, but just house + techno these days and you can get fuck all of that on spotify etc

d&b i just buy mainly digi now since i have serato, unless theres some really seminal/amazing/super ltd rare release i feel i must own on wax (which, i have to say are few are far between in d&b)

Really sad news.

So many people think they aren't hurting anyone by either downloading or just buying digi but that's just so shortsighted. It's the attitude that they are entitled to the the music without having to pay the price.

"Vinyl's too expensive and I can get 5 tunes for the price of one"

Well just buy the one then and stop being bloody entitled! If you can't afford it, then accept you can't have it.....jeeeez! Don't shit on the industry just because you're greedy....
Since when do I have to justify myself for buying digital?
Holy shit it's 2016...

Last edited:
yeh fair enough, is this industry wide though (as in electronic/dance music) ?

it's everything.
a la carte downloads are plummeting - http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-itunes-sees-big-drop-in-music-sales-2014-10-24

bpi-1.png

Including commercial labels?

There has to be a physical limit to how far sales drop off before labels cease to exist. There could be a silver lining in this however - forces quality over quantity.

Including commercial labels?

There has to be a physical limit to how far sales drop off before labels cease to exist. There could be a silver lining in this however - forces quality over quantity.

bpi-1.png

well yes, if your streams don't even cover the cost of having basic artwork done then it's going to be hard to make anything work.
not sure why that would deliver quality over quantity though, in the streaming world the opposite will be the case[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom