DnB Vinyl/Record EP/LP tune selection

rythmatix

VIP Junglist
Hey guys, this is an interesting topic I have been harping on about lately.

Basically, with the 'dwindling' vinyl sales and, in some cases, selected pressings of certain tunes from a collection on a release, there have been a number of occasions when I have been like "who is choosing what makes it onto the vinyl??"

My question is: isn't it about time that the people BUYING the records got to choose what actually makes it onto wax? Wouldn't having polls/getting opinions from the actual market place to influence their decisions be better than the labels themselves deciding what those of us that are still buying the products will want?

And that brings up another point - some releases warrant a vinyl release (like the InsideInfo EP on Viper that I have mentioned on here) - wouldn't it be wise for labels to get a feel from their market if there will be interest in doing a pressing of some releases before concluding that no one is interested?

:coffee:

Hey guys, this is an interesting topic I have been harping on about lately.

Basically, with the 'dwindling' vinyl sales and, in some cases, selected pressings of certain tunes from a collection on a release, there have been a number of occasions when I have been like "who is choosing what makes it onto the vinyl??"

My question is: isn't it about time that the people BUYING the records got to choose what actually makes it onto wax? Wouldn't having polls/getting opinions from the actual market place to influence their decisions be better than the labels themselves deciding what those of us that are still buying the products will want?

And that brings up another point - some releases warrant a vinyl release (like the InsideInfo EP on Viper that I have mentioned on here) - wouldn't it be wise for labels to get a feel from their market if there will be interest in doing a pressing of some releases before concluding that no one is interested?

:coffee:

1. Time. When a label announces a record people want it instantly. It takes ~3 months from the day you send a track to mastering until a promo release. Plus it's their label and they press whatever they want on vinyl due to various reasons.
2. Just because you think a release warrants a vinyl release doesn't make sure that enough people will buy it. I can totally understand if a label is not making any profit/break even with it (like Viper) to dismiss it. And you still always have the possibility to press it on a dubplate yourself.

My question is: isn't it about time that the people BUYING the records got to choose what actually makes it onto wax?

fair point.
but people in general are stupid.

demand makes some good points.
plus, if a label came on here for example and said oh who wants what on an lp and who will buy it?
alot of people will say yes but then in the required 3 months will they follow through? probably not.

fair point.
but people in general are stupid.

demand makes some good points.
plus, if a label came on here for example and said oh who wants what on an lp and who will buy it?
alot of people will say yes but then in the required 3 months will they follow through? probably not.
thanks for the replies (especially demand, as I am a big fan of your releases :slayer: )

yeah it is on the rise (thankfully), but I think its still a delicate thing which could be treated careful to ensure things like Nu Urban don't happen in the future.

I see the time is a big factor - but, say for example the Dispatch releases that seem to be 3 tunes (1 digital only) these days - we normally have some idea of what's 2-3 months away, and a few times I have been like 'shit, that tune should have been on the record' instead of one that's going on there. A quick FB poll might give them an idea to what WE think should get pressed. But, you are right - in the end it is the labels decision in the end.

lastly, yeah I thought about the whole "people say they will buy it then just don't" scenario - maybe some sorta 'pre-order' thing could be set up, and once the minimum is filled then it gets done? If it doesn't, then you get a refund...I am actually looking at getting the InsideInfo EP pressed, so will end up being NZ$60 for a 12", which is 4X what I normally pay for a 12", so couldn't do it often...

good to hear what other people think about this, and maybe spark some labels to think about these things (although most do I would imagine)

Back
Top Bottom