Vinyl Organisation

Brex

The house guy
VIP Junglist
Do you chaps keep your vinyl in some kind of order? And if so, what system do you use? Alphabetical? Year of pressing? Record Label? BPM? Key? Sub-genre? Height of producer?

I try and keep it in the order I bought it. I find it really easy to know the whereabouts of everything in the stack. However, that's only about 100 records. No idea how big your collection is, but it might be difficult for larger amounts.

I've got loads of vinyls so no haha tried to do it but always gets messed up when I mix so I don't bother anymore

literally hell on earth knowing you have to sift through all your tunes to get some sort of structure back. mine are all over the place atm so need at least a day to sort through them all. I tend to put all liquid together, then old classics, then techy etc etc..

also make little piles of current tunes you love playing.

I keep my record box in alphabetical order by artist. The rest are all over the place. I literally can't walk in my bedroom because there is vinyl everywhere. I need to sort out some storage

I try to keep mine sorted alphabetically by label, with newest release from that label in front and working backwards by release date/cat number. Kinda helps me keep track of things. I really in the need to get more individual boxes or crates to put things in though, as getting to releases at the back of the stacks is kind of a pain. After a few good sessions though there is usually a decent amount of plates that need to be resorted.

I used to keep them vaguely in genres/subs, but damned if i culd go much further than that, its hard enough getting my washing back in the cupboard :P

Expedit 5x5

1. up left to right
House/Electro
Psytrance / Liquid
98-2004 / TOV & Hardware
80´s
just white labels
2. left to right
Hardcore / Happy Breakbeats
93-96
Ram / Playaz
Moving Shadow - Full Cycle & V
Trash
3. left to right
2000+
2000+
recently bought / 10Inch
2000+
90 - 92 Stuff

They are in some sort of order but I couldn't possibly explain any kind of logic to it. But I know where they are all are and I dare not try and reorganise them.

Used quite a lot of different ways. Been using a really good one recently, all by label, one create for the darker stuff one of the lighter stuff and all the really big EP's and albums on my shelf next to decks. Works really well as its easy to find a leg;el in the box to out tunes back.

Top left to right;

Halftime DNB
Liquid
Hip Hop/ Reggae/LPs
Dubstep

Bottom left to right;

Jungle
Techy DNB
House / Electro
Garage

Back
Top Bottom