vinyl junkies

Vinyl is better because:

1. It feels nicer.

2. It takes more skill to make an awesome set with. (No stutter cue or onboard loop on a vinyl deck.)

3. Everything sounds better on vinyl.

4. Sexy jacket art that you can frame + occasional colored vinyl is good lookin' too.

Ahhh the old vinyl vs. digital argument where everyone thinks they know all the ins and outs of both platforms ...

Vinyl is better because:

1. It feels nicer.

2. It takes more skill to make an awesome set with. (No stutter cue or onboard loop on a vinyl deck.)

4. Sexy jacket art that you can frame + occasional colored vinyl is good lookin' too.

5. A turntable won't crash on you or reject your disc like a laptop or cdj

As long as im working and not signed on, I shall buy vinyl
Mp3's r for pikeys! (once they have nicked a cdj!)
:)

Cdj's are acceptable if the person using them has bought all the music that he is playing,
but i'm no fan of the cheesy mixes that can be done by looping a tune faster and faster etc,
also, getting new vinyl through your door is loads better than just burning a cd

they did a test on the gadget show
they played a CD a 320 mp3 and a vinyl, all the presenters found it very difficult to tell the difference in sound quality.
some say that vinyl has a "warmer" sound but i dont know about all that to be honest, my ears are pretty fucked from years of abuse.
their is nothing wrong with digital media, its all prefernce down to the individual using it, i dont think their should be so much hate about it.

where are the facts!!!!!! :D

there are no facts..l. it's a matter of opinion! some people argue that the precise nature of CD's means you hear every encoded bit and get it sounding super cris and as the artist intended, others argue that this sounds cold and want the warmth that only analogue sound can bring through moving parts touching and the signal not being binary. Vinyl sound ftw if you ask me though... my old dear has got loads of old vinyl, including pink floyds 'dark side of the moon' original press, you honestly can't tell me you would rather the download from itunes/amazon or whatever?

one thing i have wondered though, if you ripped a vinyl to CD (HQ WAV of course), would you get best of both?

but at the end of the day, mixing is mixing and people (especially in drum and bass) need to get with the times, its 2010, just accept digital is here to stay!

Vinyl is cool, digital is more practicle... choose apropriately and jobs a good un ;)

they did a test on the gadget show
they played a CD a 320 mp3 and a vinyl, all the presenters found it very difficult to tell the difference in sound quality.
some say that vinyl has a "warmer" sound but i dont know about all that to be honest, my ears are pretty fucked from years of abuse.
their is nothing wrong with digital media, its all prefernce down to the individual using it, i dont think their should be so much hate about it.

this!

Forgetting the 'quality of playback' argument just looking at player function and the media, there are no real 'pros' for vinyl in my opinion, and i play vinyl, and buy vinyl via mailorder !!

- cue point function speeds up getting it in the mix ;

- 'master tempo' means you can jog wheel forward/backward to perfect the beatmix whilst 'live' with both tracks but without getting big sound warps from the track ;

- the range of speed amendment is variable to get very precise or to allow tracks at the extreme to play together ;

- if the decks table gets bumped, everything keeps going rather than the needle jumping about to the end/beginning of the track ;

- the digital quality is 100% all the time no matter how many times you play it, if it goes to the shits you can simply burn another CDR if the media gets scratched whilst a record wears out, picks up dust resulting in pop n crackle ;

- the digital media is light (weight) and cheap to buy ;

- a pair of MP3/WAV tracks are normally cheaper than the 2-side vinyl piece and you might get a crap flip side you will never play ;

- you can download and play immediately not have to go shopping or wait a few days for the post.

Bearing all that in mind, i reckon to produce the same quality of set vinyl requires more time, effort, skill and commitment (and probably cash) from the DJ but I've not had opportunity to use time-coded vinyl with a laptop to be able to comment. I only have a few hundred drum & bass records but if i play out i have to choose a bag to take so it needs some thought ! On the flip i could pick a new genre (eg deep house), spend a few hours browsing online to build a collection of the last couple of years big tracks, copy to usb stick and then go do a gig makes it seem much less of a big deal.

i dont like the idea of djing digitally, okay it turns out to be cheaper..but not my a huge amount, and its alot less fun imo

i will always use vinyl no matter what as i think its just bette really lol

Funkmod, take a lesson and don't get serato, stick with the vinyl. But I know you still buy it so idk.

To the rest of the thread, I think crate digging has a culture to it which I like.

Funkmod, take a lesson and don't get serato, stick with the vinyl. But I know you still buy it so idk.

To the rest of the thread, I think crate digging has a culture to it which I like.

lol rev i buy alot of vinyl not giving up any time soon just thought id get a good thread going ;)

Honestly though.
I can't see myself going over to digital.
I've only just got gone over to vinyl ffs.

Plus, i quite enjoy the whole process.
Flip through collection, dig out a tune you ain't heard in ages, stick it on full blast, jizz and enjoy.

And it's my hobby at the end of the day.
I don't really intend on being the next Andy C or what have you. So i ain't gunna be buying £100's worth of vinyl a week.

Next on my list is some 1210's.

I honestly don't think I'll ever go away from Vinyl. At the end of the day I just mix because it's fun, and I don't find cdjs as fun. it feels like a toy and just isn't anywhere near the same experience. Vinyl is just nice to pick up, hold and put onto the slipmat.

Not to mention the fact that half of what I love about mixing is the actual collecting of vinyl. Even before I mixed drum and bass I was a massive crate digger for hip hop tunes and it's just something I enjoy. Like someone said above it's a crate diggers culture.

I also think that if everyone moves to digital, samples will go downhill because finding amazing samples relies on a crate digging mentality which we'd have lost if it wasn't for the fact that drum and bass is one of the few genres still vinyl driven.

Vinyl is better because:

1. It feels nicer.

5. You have the structure right in front of you.

Back
Top Bottom