Vinyl and DNB

Shotty

HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN
VIP Junglist
Here's a question for you all...

What are your views on label owners still pushing vinyl and charging some ridiculous prices for it however, not spinning it themselves?

Now I know there are a few DJs who still spin strictly vinyl however, there are a lot of label owners who sell vinyl and yet don't play it.

This isn't a hate thread or anything just curious about peoples opinions as I know a year or two ago Mala from Digital Mystikz did an interview and basicly said he refused to start mixing using digital mediums because he owns one of the only few remaining strictly vinyl labels in and he would be a bit of a hypocrite if he did.

i always buy vinyl and havent got digital YET. Personally im fed up of buying wax for high prices when the standard of pressing seems to have dropped dratically. so many iv purchased recently which have been unmixable.

Im indifferent on that really. I generally always enjoy a set more if the artist is using vinyl/serato, but whether they sell vinyl and dont play it themselves isnt a concern.

Do hate the fact they charge for vinyl like its gold plated nowadays though.

Its a piece of plastic for fucks sake.

I understand where you're coming from but what's the alternative? Less vinyl being put out...

I don't exactly enjoy seeing them do it and it somehow makes the sets less personal. On the plus side tho, when you do see them spinning test presses and vinyl only it makes it so much more special :)

Yeah Blackmarket mixing with CDs was the end of it for me. Morally you just can't do that and expect people to keep buying the black stuff. I think vinyl only DJs need to ask themselves why they are staying monogamous when orgies are clearly the way forward.

a lot of djs still buy the vinyl, but due to the state of technics in clubs, they simply cant risk humiliating themselves (not due to there skills, due to the tt's) playing it. So to ensure a better mix, they play digi's. Also, paying to take vinyls abroad is gonna cost a bob

My question is why they're doing it? If it's an addiction then the dealers will keep pushing those prices as margins decrease.

a lot of djs still buy the vinyl, but due to the state of technics in clubs, they simply cant risk humiliating themselves (not due to there skills, due to the tt's) playing it. So to ensure a better mix, they play digi's. Also, paying to take vinyls abroad is gonna cost a bob

totally disagree. i feel this is just an excuse. iv have never had a problem playing out with technics. if anything its always monitors that give me shit.

- - - Updated - - -

My question is why they're doing it? If it's an addiction then the dealers will keep pushing those prices as margins decrease.

tis cheaper to spend 30 quid on tunes than 1000 quid going digital. thats my excuse. its hard to see the amount of money u spend in the longrun because u just want new music to mix with.

i was adamant that i would stay 100% vinyl. I still bag a lot of vinyl but nowhere near as much.

if im honest, ive lost of lot of passion for mixing now that i have serato. i still enjoy mixing more than anything, but its not the same.
receiving a record in the post or going out of your way to go shopping and spending a small fortune on tracks gave you a buzz that is unrivaled.
spending £7 on one track and then waiting for 2 days for it to turn up... trust me... you appreciated this tune much more than doing 2 clicks on beatport.

ive bagged digital tracks and never even got round to playing them. ive brought so many digital tunes that selection is near impossible. if i bagged a track on vinyl, it was an absolute banger of a tune that i heard and probably said to myself "i have to have this tune"
if ive downloaded a track its because it was cheap and the 15 seconds of it that i actually listened to were alright i suppose.

dont get me wrong, the benefits of going digital logically outweigh the negative aspects. thats just how i feel.
maybe others will agree with me, maybe they wont. going digital certainly changed the game for me. it made more or less every aspect better.. cost / portability / depreciation / storage space .. blah blah blah... but i dont enjoy it as much.

with regards to your actual question. do i think it makes them a hypocrite? a little bit yeah... but can you blame them? you all know the arguments about why people don't play vinyl out. all depends really, maybe they dont play it out but perhaps they still have it at home and are avid collectors. for some its just a medium for others its much more, which is why it has survived long past its expiry date. when cassettes came about, that was supposed to be the end for vinyl, then cds, then mp3

I wouldn't say it was hypocritical of label owners who sell vinyl but play digital as a lot of them will just turn round and say "I don't play a format I play the music". Also, if for example, dBridge (who plays digital) stopped releasing wax on Exit, then there would be people slating him for giving up on it altogether - my point is, just because he or any other label owner might not be playing it, doesn't mean they should stop others playing it in the name of saving a bit of face.

I'm not very good with words. So well done if you understand any of that.

i was adamant that i would stay 100% vinyl. I still bag a lot of vinyl but nowhere near as much.

if im honest, ive lost of lot of passion for mixing now that i have serato. i still enjoy mixing more than anything, but its not the same.
receiving a record in the post or going out of your way to go shopping and spending a small fortune on tracks gave you a buzz that is unrivaled.
spending £7 on one track and then waiting for 2 days for it to turn up... trust me... you appreciated this tune much more than doing 2 clicks on beatport.

ive bagged digital tracks and never even got round to playing them. ive brought so many digital tunes that selection is near impossible. if i bagged a track on vinyl, it was an absolute banger of a tune that i heard and probably said to myself "i have to have this tune"
if ive downloaded a track its because it was cheap and the 15 seconds of it that i actually listened to were alright i suppose.

dont get me wrong, the benefits of going digital logically outweigh the negative aspects. thats just how i feel.
maybe others will agree with me, maybe they wont. going digital certainly changed the game for me. it made more or less every aspect better.. cost / portability / depreciation / storage space .. blah blah blah... but i dont enjoy it as much.

with regards to your actual question. do i think it makes them a hypocrite? a little bit yeah... but can you blame them? you all know the arguments about why people don't play vinyl out. all depends really, maybe they dont play it out but perhaps they still have it at home and are avid collectors. for some its just a medium for others its much more, which is why it has survived long past its expiry date. when cassettes came about, that was supposed to be the end for vinyl, then cds, then mp3

basically.... yea

See I am currently in the process of switching to CDJs as I want to start mixing house, garage and other genres but, I cant afford to literally start a new record collection of a different genre. Dubstep and Drum & Bass have cost me enough but, your above point is something I am worried about as I can buy a track for £1 I will probably stop searching for tracks I can live with out and just buy anything then never touch it.

Thats another good point that maybe these people are still collecting vinyl but, I'm not too some of them would when they will have already been sent a copy of the mp3/wav

Lots of this is bang on. I still go to record stores in central - and just spent a fortune online.

For me personally I still buy vinyl and only play vinyl. I am running rapidly out of storage space/money doing it but the physicality of having the record there means so much to me.

Touching on Teddy's comments - close friend of mine made the switch to digital and he seems really disheartened by mixing these days. He buys STACKS of tunes - when I'm going through his HD I think do you really play all of these? He used to play sets out and when he made the switch nothing happened for him...

I couldn't really give two shits if the label bosses are playing vinyl or not. I respect the guys that still do but its few and far between - respected DJ's playing vinyl doesn't affect my opinion on it being the best medium.

Vinyl has made me happy since I started my collection. I wander into the spare bedroom and sometimes just waft through my collection to see what I can find. Having that physical element of it just makes it so so much more personal.

I've toyed with going digital but as Tony said £1000+ in one hit? Big commitment to something you could feel less enchanted with over time.

I think this is reason alot of labels now give "digital download" cards with releases, people neeed that little bit of an extra motivation to keep spending alot of money on wax. ALso then switching the digi becomes easier when half of your back cat is digi too (this is the case for me but ive only been buying vinyl for one year and try as hard as poss to use surus).

The hypocritical point i dont get, i think labels are doing us a good service still pressing tunes when its financially not in their interest.

Probably because mp3 is just so much easier but they still got to please the die hard vinyl heads aint they by pressing a few hundred copies. Most dj's have made the switch to mp3's by now

Do you blame them carrying that big heavy record box round with them everywhere they go when they can just have a usb stick in their pocket :teeth:

Once you account for the cost of the actual pressing, press and promo, getting a video made and the artwork theres very very little left on a 300 copy run.

Is that the standard press then? I was always under the impression dnb labels would press at least a thousand? Unless it was obviously a ltd run of say 500

Back
Top Bottom