Vinyl and DNB

I understand where you're coming from but what's the alternative? Less vinyl being put out...
It couldn't get any less than it already is unless vinyls stopped getting pressed altogether :S....

Personally I don't have much of an issue with it; do what you gotta do at the moment is my motto. If playing digital helps in their set workflow so be it. I agree w/ everyone saying vinyl prices are a bit out of hand tho, it's even worst for me being in the U.S and having to pay for overseas S&H, and for the life of me I'll never figure out how that V.A.T stuff works for imports.

Another +1 for DVS, got Traktor setup with my 1210's, still spend loads on vinyl because I love it, but I can also buy WAVs too.

Everyone seems to be making the analogue>digital change. Well I am going the other way round, I am hoping to buy a single 1210 to go alongside my 2 cdjs. My reasons for this is that I want to learn how to mix vinyl properly, I also want to start a record collection, something I can look at in 10 years and appreciate, and also for the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone seems to be making the analogue>digital change. Well I am going the other way round, I am hoping to buy a single 1210 to go alongside my 2 cdjs. My reasons for this is that I want to learn how to mix vinyl properly, I also want to start a record collection, something I can look at in 10 years and appreciate, and also for the sound.

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to look into the Traktor Kontrol Z2. It's DVS, but allows you to switch between analogue and digital at the push of a button.

I play records, and will do so until they're not making them.

It's getting very hard to justify though, less and less music even getting released, between the three distributors our local shop deals with there's sometimes barely one thing between them that I like enough to buy.

Five years ago when digital labels started to really become a thing everyone laughed at them, but tbh there's more great music not making it to vinyl these days than there is great music getting pressed up on wax. As far as I'm concerned if you're literally only playing tunes from a dozen or so labels and the odd other random one that pops up elsewhere then you're not much of a DJ any more really, you're meant to dig deep, listen to everything, that takes almost no time these days, I've decided what I'll be buying in a given week by the time I've had a cup of tea and a rollie and twenty minutes with the ST / SRD / Triplevision release sheets.

I get maybe a dozen tunes sent to me a week on AIM and the likes, and always hunt down any of the soundcloud freebies and so on that pop up every so often, and if I could play any of them I would, but I keep reading stories like the ones posted earlier in the thread about people with Serato etc just feeling overwhelmed by the choice and getting paralysed. Don't have the money to buy CDJ's and tbh going to do a gig with a pair of headphones and a USB stick just wouldn't feel like work.

So I'm going to keep playing records that I buy in my local record shop until that's no longer possible, and when that's no longer possible I'll hang up my headphones and stop playing out, maybe get rid of three or four hundred or so of the tunes I only really bought for the sake of gigs or for the sake of having something new to play and then just start filling in the old gaps in the collection.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also a broke and scabby fucker, I'm so poor it's not even funny, every tune I buy and play is money that any sensible person would spend on something useful. I know I'd be far too tempted to rob and torrent tunes if I played digital, it's just too easy, at least this way I know I'll always be paying my way.

Last edited:
I've been buying vinyl for around 3 years now and haven't really noticed a downward trend in labels pressing vinyl. When I originally wanted to get into djing I started with Virtual DJ and started pricing up some cdjs until i found myself in BM Soho speaking to flight about the pros and cons of it all. This was when I decided to go for the 1210s and I think it was the best decision I have ever made. At that time I was buying tonnes of crap jump up mp3's that I now cringe at whenever I scroll through my iTunes library and through buying vinyl it forced me to have greater quality control and to look deeper into not just the world of dnb but music itself. I don't think I could ever do any of the alternatives now as I love the physical aspect of it all and if one day it does all come to an end I will become a permanent resident on discogs

i'm with rusket here, as gay as it may sound years down the line i'll have the physical product and all of the memories attached to it. it's all about the quality control - spend a bit more money for sure but you'll only buy what you're really feeling. and for every digital-only track there's a quality track that made it to vinyl just fine

In response to the original question: I think that's absolutely fine, as long as they give me what I want (vinyl release) and a good set on a night out I'm happy as a pig in shit.

In regards to vinyl vs digi in terms of audio. Scotty is right a vinyl is (generally) cut from a wav file, but they are mastered very differently due to the physical restrictions laid out by vinyl and so sound different. Not better necessarily (although most people would argue the resulting sound is nicer) but different.

I'm pretty sure that CEOs of wheelchair companies don't cruise around in wheelchairs just because it's the product they're living of.

I'm pretty sure that CEOs of wheelchair companies don't cruise around in wheelchairs just because it's the product they're living of.

A terrible example!

I still buy vinyl but only the biggest releases and don't take risks like I used to. I love vinyl and have built a collection which I am proud of and if vinyl pressings were to stop tomorrow I would be happy with my contribution to the dnb scene.

I made the switch to digital about 2 months ago after being vinyl only for ages

I feel going digi has reignited my passion for DJing again personally. Working within the scene as I do in some way i was getting sent tunes all the time without any way to actually play them bar from listening on iTunes. I'd stopped buying records (new ones at least) just because they cost a fortune and working as a freelancer/self employed I have to be more money sensible so the days of blowing loads of my wages on new wax had to stop. I still buy tunes but mostly old records I wanted to just own and collect or might buy the occasional new release if its something I really want to own on wax (Music Is Better by Break was the last one i copped). I've built up enough of a collection of wax to be ok with not buying it anymore. I put my time in. Plus many labels are making certain tunes digi only halves of EP's. Groove Shadow by Xtrah was digi only for example, if I didnt have Serato I wouldnt have been able to put it in my last mix and would've had to miss out on it. So digi gives you a chance to play tunes you might not be able to yet want to. I still think vinyl is the best format to play D&B on and I still do, but its just via a laptop and mp3 now. It's not that much of a drastic change.

And like buying wax, you just need to be smart with what you cop digitally. I have regular clearouts of stuff I know I dont or wont use, its just like buying or organising wax. I only keep the stuff I know I want or will find a reason to play or use. Pretty easy really. I do know people who have loads of shit just for the sake of it but never play like 85% of it but I'm trying to avoid that.

As for whether label owners are hypocrites for pushing wax but not playing it.... does anyone really care? Never bothered me in the slightest

digital dj`s have the benefit of being able to EQ their tunes, or pitch about the tempo so they mix better

there is nothing worse then going into no bass, or hi`s that make your ears bleed when the tune is trying to be gangsta

TBH if I didn't live within walking distance of 80% of the venues I play in I might think differently about it all; my annual trips to play records in other countries aren't frequent enough for me to hate flying with vinyl, and while I spend about a tenner a week on taxis to go do the radio it's not a massive expense anyway.

All the alternatives are either too expensive or too impractical or just too bloody awful to consider; the very last thing I want to do when I'm in a venue and about to play music is dick about with a whole bunch of wires and cables and a laptop, I'd much rather be dancing, rooting through a record bag, panic buying drinks or going for a last minute toilet break.

When you're a bottom feeder doing warmup gigs and warehouse after parties etc you have the luxury of thinking the way I do, obviously if you're utterly serious about it in any way shape or form you're going to be burning CD's etc, I just like having a few shelves of memories I guess.

Ah well, we'll all be dead soon.

The only thing I miss about vinyl is going to the record shop on a Saturday afternoon. It was a therapeutic ritual.

There have been so many good tunes this year that I wouldn't have been able to afford if I was wasn't playing digital.

I personally dont give a fuck about what djs are playing on.

I just hope that at least some dnb is getting pressed to vinyl. I only collect so it might seem like a stupid waste of money because I dont have a pair of technics and a mixer but I enjoy dnb enough to want to own the physical copy.

Respect to the labels that are pressing their music still I hope some labels will keep it up for at least a few more years I only started my record collection in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom