Venue in Southampton?????

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by instinct_dnb, Feb 23, 2005.

1. instinct_dnb

instinct_dnb WAY OF LIFE.........

After the lads @ PARODOX got the breakbeat sounds banned ( bringing bad attitudes to events!! no need!!!) from nearly every venue ( that i know, anyway ) im desperate top find some possible venues on the south coast, the closer to southampton the better, but we will look @ posibilities else-where, POMPEY??? no chance!!!!

Any one know where there could be any venues, PLEASE,
    let me know

signin off...........
    peace

2. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Portsmouth, Guildford, or Brighton.

Not coming to Portsmouth means you miss one of the best events in teh world. Open your mind, you'll be hard pushed to find a much better vibe, promotion, production, and lineup.

3. Charge

Charge Member

Club Moloko has just been refurbished in Southampton...already has a monthly dnb and hip hop night though i think.
    Sound system needs beefing up a little too imo.

4. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Didn't really rate that place (n)

Especially for a recently refurbished club.

Don't forget the steep stairs :gimp:

5. Charge

Charge Member

stu (itchy) knows all bout those steep stairs :rofl:

6. Fallon

Fallon New Member

The Rhino Club. I have inquired and they said I could have

it on a monday night. I don't have $$$ to start something

decent yet, so was planning to after the summer

7. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

NExus club is good. for hip hop nights at least. :slick:

8. instinct_dnb

instinct_dnb WAY OF LIFE.........

i got fed up wit those clowns @ PARODOX ( all there events had the wrong vibes ( pill hedz n chav's lookin ta prove their Rock Ard, to55ers! )
    Just started off, INSTINCT, got my first event in may friday 13 @ empire hall, totton 7 till late
    Darren Jay & Residents
    mc's Shabba IC3 & Eksman
    (first 2 hours open mic, come spit ya skills!)
    (100% confirmed)
    Started off as a birthday, but then thought, f*ck it, i can make a little bit of cash out of doin sumfing i live for!!!!
    my target is a phat event every other month or sumfing!!!
    only problem @ the moment is findin suitable venues
    ( well done PARODOX, 4 gettin dnb banned @ almost every venue, keep up the good work????? )
    if your after tickets, they're only a tenner, give me an email and i will let u know where to get em from!!!

9. Triple M

Triple M Admin

Haha yeah!

Mc lub (n)

10. lokki

lokki JUNGLIST FROM DEYA

word! they didnt treat me too well when i was tring to promote the magazine, the only peeps that didnt! ....! (n)

11. worelord

worelord New Member

Will head along here, weed friendly? not having much luck in soton recently

12. Clawmonkey

Clawmonkey Clawmonkey

I used to live in Southampton, now I'm up in London, and I went to some of those Paradox gigs and it was darkside (not in a good way!)

When you promote a night, as I did, in a relatively small place like Southampton about 70% of the people there are people you know.

We never had 1 fight at any of the events we organised and the people running the venues welcomed us back coz we provided money without the hassle.

The crowd reflect the the promoters. If the promoters are narrow minded, insecure, jumped up, rude boys with a conformative taste in D&B and a "I've got something to prove" complex (probably coz they've never satisfied a woman) then so are the people who turn up at their events. Nice 1 Paradox... Nice 1.

Rant over. In all honesty, I used to run techno nights so it's a different ball game. I'm into D&B now and I'm put off promoting it because Paradox have put the willies up me about it.

I went to Renegade Hardware last weekend and there was no violence so it is possible.

There are a lot of sound, party animal, drum & bass fans that I know in Southampton but you wont get them out unless you ditch the MCs.

Get rid of the MCs and make a point of it and you will have an awesome friendly crowd. But whilst they're there jibbering over the jungle and ruinning it for everyone with any kind of musical integrity then you can garuntee your fate is the same as Paradox's.

Ditch the MCs and THEY will come!

13. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

Word. However, I think it is certain MCs that bring the trouble. If you book Shabba, Skibba, Yardie, Cowboy Ranger, Trigga, Bassman etc......you will get the wrong vibe. Full stop. Not saying that these peeps always bring the wrong crowd WITH them, but they will attract the more rudeboy, 19 yr old-"gangsta" crowd.

As Clawmonkey rightly said, The Renegade Hardware nights, wherever they are, attract a good crowd. It's (in general) a more sophisticated style of DNB, and with good MCs who know how to treat a set.....SP, Verse, 2Shy etc. These guys don't really appeal to the masses cos they aren't ghetto enuff or whatever. However, they will appeal to the people you will want at a successful night. Of course, you can also book others - I'd say Fearless, Dynamite, Eksman and I thought Darrison was entertaining the other day - as an extra name or something.....the first three are at the top of their game these days.

Depends what you want out of your event Mr. Instinct.