using your own recorded sounds

A wheelbarrow's squeaky wheel. If I put it on its back, pressed down on it, and moved it very slowly, it made this agonizing wail. Ran through an amp sim with decay and reverb it sounded very nice. Also used an electric toothbrush, or maybe it was a massager, on a tap and that made an interesting noise; the movement of the toothbrush / massager added a bit of movement to the sound as well.

I wouldn't normally use field recordings for anything other than percussion. But in respect of that ill find different rooms warehouses or open spaces and get my akg condenser mic setup. I then proceed to bang smash clang anything I can get my hands on against anything else I find. I work security on various sites with different materials and sometimes massive derelict buildings so the sound can be unique

Percussion is pretty common in most types of electronica, though with DnB, less common. I've heard lots of kitchen sounds used (chopsticks clicking together, spoon tapping a cup, stacking plates, shutting the fridge door etc.) as with editing, you can build a pretty impressive percussion rack.

Spoons make good hi-hats.

I also made a little riser by banging two glasses together: you get a really weird noise.

If you have one of those metal wire rack draining board type things next to your sink in the kitchen, stack a plate in it, then whip it out, making sure it scrapes the metal on the way out. Some awesome ambient ringing will follow, and it sounds kinda like the movie sound effect for drawing a sword from it's sheath. Band some effects on there and you're in ambient pad heaven.

I wouldn't normally use field recordings for anything other than percussion. But in respect of that ill find different rooms warehouses or open spaces and get my akg condenser mic setup. I then proceed to bang smash clang anything I can get my hands on against anything else I find. I work security on various sites with different materials and sometimes massive derelict buildings so the sound can be unique

i wonder what your boss makes of you wondering around the site making all that racket haha :D ...sounds like an awesome opportunity not to be missed tho! cant beat derelict buildings for amazing echos and other things

have you considered doing impulse response recordings aswell? get yourself nice mic setup and a reasonably flat speaker to play the impulses, and impulse response program, and you can recreate all those buildings on your computer using the impulse data in a Convolution Reverb plugin

Last edited:
Hitting various metallic objects with a stick often turns out well.

Use a Neumann U87 or a 47, add some reverb and reversed delay and you can get some awesome results.

You can really get creative and make something awesome with the most unlikely of sounds.

i wonder what your boss makes of you wondering around the site making all that racket haha :D ...sounds like an awesome opportunity not to be missed tho! cant beat derelict buildings for amazing echos and other things

have you considered doing impulse response recordings aswell? get yourself nice mic setup and a reasonably flat speaker to play the impulses, and impulse response program, and you can recreate all those buildings on your computer using the impulse data in a Convolution Reverb plugin

Yeah im constant nightshift so i can do whatever i want no one sees me except people trying to steal stuff lol... ive never tried this method i will defo look into this further but this has given me a further idea. What if i took my minibrute or just any synth into these buildings and a decent set of speakers and got some real reverb on them too. Ill take my studio out on saturday night to my work and pretty much try this

Back
Top Bottom