Using samples for dnb

co0ke

windowlicker
VIP Junglist
'Ello all.

I am an aspiring producer using reason 4, and I have recentley got my hands on an axiom 49 keyboard.

I have been searching the internet for advice on producing, and right now, dnb in particular. It seems that the general consensus is that sampled beats must be used in a track and then chopped up or whatnot. Isn't there anyone who can construct dnb beats from individual drum hits as opposed to 6 second clips?

Easy, Most producers sample breaks and just use a low pass filter to get rid of the kicks and some times the snares. always the kicks though.
this is because it sounds a lot more full and complete.
errr yeah thats why really.
sorry not a big help bit tired lol

no offence chaz but a low pass filter will remove high sounds.... and removing a kick will not make a beat sound full... not a dig at you mate.... just dont want people getting confused

yeah you can use one shot drum hits, alot of tunes are made from one shot hits. i personally prefer breaks, theres something about the way breaks are all recorded in the same space with the same mics onto the same tape that just makes them gel together nicely

another technique is using one shot hits for the backbone of the beat, and layering a break over the top

Mostly it's a combination of single hits and sampled breaks though. If a break itself sounds a bit thin, maybe add a nice kick sample or two to spice up the original kick. This is called Layering and pops up every week or two in this forum - a search with "layering" should return a nice collection of threads!

-peace, g'night, out.

Last edited:
no offence chaz but a low pass filter will remove high sounds.... and removing a kick will not make a beat sound full... not a dig at you mate.... just dont want people getting confused

yeah you can use one shot drum hits, alot of tunes are made from one shot hits. i personally prefer breaks, theres something about the way breaks are all recorded in the same space with the same mics onto the same tape that just makes them gel together nicely

another technique is using one shot hits for the backbone of the beat, and layering a break over the top

none taken
yeah i did get a bit mixed up

not many producers use just one shots, mainly because of laziness, lol. nah, its just very hard to get the same natural roll to the beats when programming them but it can be done, i dont use breaks at all, my drums dont sound amazing but there on the improve, the key to making "real" sounding drums with one shots is DONT use quantize, as u lose the groove, the slightly off beat hits are what makes a beat catchy, and velocity, dont have all the hits at the same volume, this is another way to give the beat a groove

at least its the norm to sample breaks, i felt like i was cheating in my productions by doing this.

haha me too, i've been makin mine with one shots, no wonder they've sounded so weak and boring! Time to get some breaks i think!

@Tarranjoe - nice one mate thats well helpful, makes alot of sense too!

all about mixing the two in your productions get a phat kick and snare and then add breakbeats for percussion cutting the kick and snare out of it so you have your original kick and snare doing all the work and finally when you cut the break have each hit on its own channel to give you more range on the eq

haha me too, i've been makin mine with one shots, no wonder they've sounded so weak and boring! Time to get some breaks i think!

:ditto:
i never used breaks before watching the videos with chase & status on the youtube even tho i had them in my folders, like what supple said thought i was cheatin :lol: tune im working on now has a few breaks and does sound alot better with them
respect

c&s tutorials on cubase (check the dutty speakers)
part1 : http://youtube.com/watch?v=SYMC57ldgE4
part2 : http://youtube.com/watch?v=crp6eGfdOtQ&feature=related

thanks for all the input guys. i love dnb but im just not at the level where i can produce tracks im satisfied with. i am pleased with my other downbeat tracks so i guess ill have to keep trying!

i usually layer up alot of samples for my kicks and snares, i put about 50-100hz on my kicks and around 100-150hz on my snares, then i usually slice up an old break for hats etc, jazzy breaks are good and then put a high frequency filter on them (y) how is the keyboard? im thinking of getting one of those!

Back
Top Bottom