Using Mid range in a mix?

Wellsy

VIP Junglist
Yo guys, gota gig tonight using an xone 02 ( I know their shit to mix on) and was wondering if anyone uses the Mid range to mix as my mixer (vestax pmc 06) only has the Hi and Lo and have been happy just using those ranges. So shall I just leave the Mid alone and keep it in the middle position? Cheers:)

yeah. basicly. good to pronounce a mix imo. so lets say you doubledrop something and got the bass of one tune in, you could turn down the mids there a bit and up them on the other tune, so the mix comes along clearer. no real NEED to move it away from standard tho.

Surely its not so black n white as depends the freq' bands, slopes and q's which the respective eq's work on.

Well the system I'm playing on tonight is pretty poor and its hard to hear anything properly where I am, so think I'll leave it be for now until I get a mixer with all three bands rather than experimenting live :p, cheers for the responses guys!

All mixers are different of course but a lot of the bass is in the mids as well. So if you find that you want to cut out some more low-end to leave some more high-end in the mix cut out some of the mid.

Surely its not so black n white as depends the freq' bands, slopes and q's which the respective eq's work on.

This. If a mixer only has a high and low band, it doesnt mean its leaving the mid frequencies alone, it'll just be that each of the two have a wider bandwidth compared to a 3 band setup. It should be fairly easy to understand, you'll hear the difference when adjusting your eq's and probably just alter it without thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom