Using envelope filters in Z3TA+?

Freek

Lets get freeeeeeky
VIP Junglist
Ez peeps, was wondering if you can help me, in one of my previous posts someone mentioned using an envelope controlled filter rather than a lfo. Now i understand the techniques when using lfos but have never even attempted to use an envelope filter and was hoping you would explain the process of setting a filter on a Z3TA+ patch.
All help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Ok lets say you got a nice reese going with 2 or more detuned saw waves and a nice melody. Now route them all to filter 1 (push the "bus" all the way up on all osc's). Set filter type to LP12db/oct for example.

Now in the mod matrix, set source as "EG1", which is Envelope Generator 1. Set the range to full and curve to B-LIN-. The destination will be Filter 1 cutoff.
Now in the envelope generators menu go to 1, which is the EG1 you just routed to the cutoff. Push the amount all the way up.

Now when you start playing with the settings of the envelope you'll hear the results.

DEL is the amount of time it takes before the envelope starts, set that t 0 for now.

The basics of the envelope are:
A is Attack, means the curve how the cutoff will go up in this case. You can set the strength of the curve by clicking on the curve icon.
D is decay, after the attack has gone up this will measure the time and slope to the next phase, which is
S for Sustain, is how the value (cutoff in this case) will be for the sustained part of the note, eg. when you still have the note pressed down.
R is Release, meaning how the value will act when you release the note.

You'll best get them by testing tho, and Z3TA has these other cryptical values about slopes too. Just experiment and youll get the idea.

btw, if you have a patch already controlled by the lfo, you can just change the source in the mod matrix from lfo to one of eg's.... then use kama's advice to adjust ;)

Ok lets say you got a nice reese going with 2 or more detuned saw waves and a nice melody. Now route them all to filter 1 (push the "bus" all the way up on all osc's). Set filter type to LP12db/oct for example.

Now in the mod matrix, set source as "EG1", which is Envelope Generator 1. Set the range to full and curve to B-LIN-. The destination will be Filter 1 cutoff.
Now in the envelope generators menu go to 1, which is the EG1 you just routed to the cutoff. Push the amount all the way up.

Now when you start playing with the settings of the envelope you'll hear the results.

DEL is the amount of time it takes before the envelope starts, set that t 0 for now.

The basics of the envelope are:
A is Attack, means the curve how the cutoff will go up in this case. You can set the strength of the curve by clicking on the curve icon.
D is decay, after the attack has gone up this will measure the time and slope to the next phase, which is
S for Sustain, is how the value (cutoff in this case) will be for the sustained part of the note, eg. when you still have the note pressed down.
R is Release, meaning how the value will act when you release the note.

You'll best get them by testing tho, and Z3TA has these other cryptical values about slopes too. Just experiment and youll get the idea.

this is absolute quality mate, it is exactly what i needed. i never use the presets, always start with a blank patch by initialising it. have used z3ta for just over a year now and have been using the lfos but not messed with the envelopes. time for sum wah wah wahs methinks lol!!! big ups for that infor kama

Had some fun with that last night, managed to recreate the doy sound that hazard uses in fools and primecuts use in warning, just added a bit of reverb and chorus and eqd it, sounds meeennttaaalll. any advice on how to recreate the wah sound used in a lot of commercial jumpup???

i think they generally sample jobless people down the job centre moaning about their giros

Back
Top Bottom