Using drum machine instead of samples

Discussion in 'Production' started by Remo Shiva, May 14, 2005.

1. Remo Shiva

Remo Shiva New Member

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and I'm lovin it already, learned some descent tricks and was wondering if anyone could help with this question............

you need to hear the Amen1 break that sdm posted in the xchange thread or know of that style of drum & bass, basically I want to be able to recreate that sound using just a drum machine and effects within Reason 3. I have always thought using loops in everything is a bit like cheating <---ooooooooooh did I just say that!!??!!

The closest I can get is running it thro the scream box and the delay on some of the hihats and snares but its not really giving me the mid range I want, you know that really harsh sound that makes this type of drum&bass unique and very recognisable.

Anyway the question..... Does anyone have any alternative suggestions as to re-creating this very desirable style within Reason 3?

I'm fairly new to production btw, but not new to music, I am actually a drummer so understand very well the creation of layered beats and stuff.

Thanks for any help, I am hoping to post some stuff so you all can hear my tunez, if you care that is :))

Remo

2. Affliction

Affliction thought size didnt matter

3. Remo Shiva

Remo Shiva New Member

Cheers mate, been trying some of the things suggested and this is what I have come up with. The bass line is a 2 second jobby, its the beat I'm intrested in, I get a nice sound and it is very useable but it still don't sound amen'esque.

The loop sounds a hell of a lot better in reason, this is just a quick export and convert, but your feedback is much appreciated.

Remo

4. Remo Shiva

Remo Shiva New Member

duh, heres the file

Attached Files: