using chopped up amens/beaks

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
who would see using chopped up amens and breaks as cheating say if I was to cut out all the snares and kicks out of the filler, and keep the kicks in one channel and the snares in another seperate one then eq them seperately to give the kick and snare some extra layers possibly to get the sound I want.... does any1 do this or do you see it as cheating?!
I suppose I could take singular hits from the rex files export them as wavs and use them in redrum?!
so many posibilities/.. no idea what to do :lol:

not cheating, its the foundation of our sound.
although i guess it does depend on what loop and where its from.
a james brown break sampled from one of his records is one thing, a sample cd breakbeat wav engineered by calyx is quite another.

^^^^ :sign:

although imo its fucking nonsense not to use breaks as they are. if you get them sounding big, no one cares if you made it on your own or if it was like that from the beginning.

Personally I avoid breaks, simply because so many people use them it means that your tunes will have less of a personal touch. Thats just my opinion though

also you shouldnt think of your personal touch when you cant even make a decent tune..

edit: not saying you couldnt in general, but too often noobs get into the corner of "making everything themselves" and eventually wont reach any even half-good-sounding tune with that attitude tbh.

if you do it and it sounds phat then why not. who cares where the sample came from or how it was used. the end product is what counts. i only use breaks to fill out my beats, however i have a very large collection of kick and snare samples and no doubt atleast 50% of them were taken from a break and processed at some point.

ahhh... so long ago didn't see this "cheating old dilemma".

I too had that feeling of cheating when I started producing... and tbh haven't used a break in any song, and I've already got a couple signed, just started a new one FULL of breaks, separated in freqs, layered with some hits, effects on this, distortion on that. The sound is completely awesome.
All I can say is, if it sounds good. Go straight and feel it.

also, there is more ways to modify a break than chopping it up... a jungly break that moves from extremely high passed to normal for example makes a wicked roll/fill for the end of a phrase (y)

also you shouldnt think of your personal touch when you cant even make a decent tune..

edit: not saying you couldnt in general, but too often noobs get into the corner of "making everything themselves" and eventually wont reach any even half-good-sounding tune with that attitude tbh.

I have no issue with using breaks as samples, but to simply get an amen, cut out a section of it, stick it down as drums and leave it there is a little bit dull for me. (again, opinion)
Alternatively, if you get an amen and tweak it so it sounds different, even though it's still an amen, if it sounds recogisably different then fair play, thats good. (eg pendulamen, tramen etc)

do whatever you want, theres plenty of cliches for why it doesnt matter.....no point reinventing the wheel right? your personal touch will always be there, because sound is such a complex system, unless you go out of your way to replicate someones style of course. when you are ready to make your own breaks, you will do, theres no point forcing yourself to do it until you know why you need to do it, ie coz the track and sound needs it, not coz someone is telling you to stop cheating

write your music coz the sound gets you excited, any other reason isnt gona give you much satisfaction imo, so as far as creative ideas go, fuk what other people think :)

so true groelle, all this time iv been doin it all from scratch hit by hit, even the breaks filling out the percussion theni get some amens that sound 10x better than anything iv come up with!!!!

i think also that its more important what you do with it than the sound itself....

Bang on... its almost like a benchmark. Just like when people scratch, they all use the same sounds... its what they do with them that counts and the sound becomes the measure. If you can twist an Amen break up to be yours it will be worth a lot! Not just in your current production but for many to come.

Peace

BNGMovingLogo01.gif

Lee Fury & JTB
http://soundcloud.com/biteandgouge

Back
Top Bottom