USING AN AUDIO INTERFACE

Dj_Kritikool

this might sound like a stupid question....

ive heard people go on about interfaces but im not sure what they are used for

could any1 explain 2 me as from what ive read, they seem 2 be needed for production, i may be wrong, but if sum1 could explain, that would be great

thanks

an audio interface is where you build and compose your tune like fruity loops or reason.

hope that helps.

an audio interface is where you build and compose your tune like fruity loops or reason.

hope that helps.

Thats a DAW or sequencer, an audio interface is the part that gets the sound into and out of your computer. They are needed for production, without an interface you'd have no sound at all, they can be as simple as a basic soundcard with a stereo out to send to your mixer/speakers, or a multi channel device that provides various audio and midi inputs and outputs. It all depends on what sort of work you need to do, what are you looking at doing?

well im lookin at getting into production, ive got a mac and got logic so far and a midi keyboard

but just doing research into other bits i need as i am new to it

next thing would be i need monitors, but im adding things as i go along

n u hear about all sorts of things with prodution, n seem to hear alot about audio interfaces and wasnt to sure what they were used for

The best way to think of it is a slightly more advanced soundcard really, some will fit inside your computer and have breakout cables to connect to external sources, some will be a sperate box with all the connections that connects to your computer via USB/Firewire. If you just looking at using logic and doing all your work with MIDI and samples, a simple USB interface with just a pair of stereo outputs would be fine, although it'd be worth getting something with an input or 2 aswel in case you decide later that you'd like to record something (maybe a vocal track or your own sampling). Theres a nearly endless amount of different interfaces around, best bet is to have a read around, see what features they all have and whats best suited to you. If your still stuck just let me know I'll try and help out!

well thats helped me out alot, i am now starting to understand so thanks alot mate

i'll do a bit more research, as u say there are endless interfaces to choose from

when i make further additions to my equipment, i'll know where to ask :D

thanks again

One thing they also affect is the latency of your audio programs. For example if you have an old machine with a built-in sound card and you use FLStudio with it, there will be a delay between you pressing the keyboard and the sound coming out from the speakers. Maybe as high as 400ms (0,4s), which practically makes it impossible to play anything live.

With the help of newer computers and dedicated audio interfaces you can push the latency so low that it's virtually nonexistent, 1-20ms (0.001 to 0.02s).

edit: well maybe not 1 millisecond but low anyway. Mine is 12ms with an old E-MU internal device.

i fink the machine is ok

i got a mac pro g5 8 core that i purchased not so long ago so it better be up to the job, logic runs fine on it so far, and i kno this model is ment 2 be really reliable

The Mac Pro's are the ones after the G5, either way though, G5 or Mac Pro will have no problems, like Kama said just make sure you get an interface thats designed for the sort of work you want to do and latency shouldnt be an issue.

hope that helps.

this wrong mate.. ur on about a digital audio workstation

Thats a DAW or sequencer, an audio interface is the part that gets the sound into and out of your computer. They are needed for production, without an interface you'd have no sound at all, they can be as simple as a basic soundcard with a stereo out to send to your mixer/speakers, or a multi channel device that provides various audio and midi inputs and outputs. It all depends on what sort of work you need to do, what are you looking at doing?

^ this is a good answer

Back
Top Bottom