USB to Firewire Adapters for Audio Interface

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
Ez, so I've got a TC Electronic audio interface which runs off firewire, but my laptop only has usb ports. Is it worth me getting a usb / firewire adapter, or should I just look for a standard usb interface?

I've heard firewire is generally better, but there's gota be plenty of people out there running usb audio interfaces that are perfectly happy?

Bigups

why would you spend (insert large amount of money here) on a new interface instead of paying £1 for an adapter?

why would you spend (insert large amount of money here) on a new interface instead of paying £1 for an adapter?

I just wondered whether an adapter might cause problems with the data flow and cause dropouts, as obviously I'll be trying to run an audio interface that's meant to be connected with firewire with usb instead?

I don't know loads about it, but I have read about this not being an ideal situation and losing speed because the way USB and Firewire are completely different. I personally wouldn't use a £1 convertor and expect it to work 100%. I have a Firewire soundcard myself I used to use and remember having the same issue. At the time though the adapters didn't exist at all, and didn't for a while. I always wondered and I've read something about losing full speed using the converters you can pick up these days.

I have to agree with the poster above me, you will end up with issues.

I would sell your current interface on eBay then replace it with a USB one

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to get shot of the TC Electronic and go for a decent USB interface

Anyone out there got any recommendations?

I can imagine most people are on firewire but there's gota be some good USB solutions out there as well??

I use the Apogee Duet 2. USB based and has never presented any issues. Best audio interface I've ever owned...expensive, but worth it.

Yeah, Mac only I'm afraid. A comparable interface would be the lovely RME Babyface, its superb in terms of sonic quality and also has 5-Pin MIDI In/Out, something my Duet 2 (first gen) sadly lacks.

Little bit out of my price range but thanks anyway mate

How much you looking to spend? Steer clear of the cheap m audio ones

Probably about £300 tops, would like to be able to settle for something decent about £200 though

- - - Updated - - -

Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, cheap, brilliant preamps, built like a tank, what more do you need?

Heard good things about these, is it the Saffire or the Scarlett ones that are superior?

Back
Top Bottom