USB Soundcards for recording mixes. What do you use?

Agent Smith

Currently Putins Koala
VIP Junglist
So my trusty Maya 44USB first generation has started creating a hissing sound over all recordings both channels. I've certainly given it a battering over the last 6+ years so its time for a change and thought i'd pose a few questions here...

Do you use a USB soundcard?

How much did you pay?

Do you record vinyl using it?

I would like your finest recommendations. Money wise, I really wouldn't like to spend over £100 but if it gets a glowing recommendation from you I may well consider it.

I've got one of these
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
its pretty shit but for £20 it does what i want with no unnecessary bells and whistles.
with regards to the quality of the recording, i dont really know as i haven't compared it with anything else. I would like a better one but unsure what to go for.

Yea and the majority of them are well over £100 and tbh I know no-one who has ever spent top dollar on one.
will definitely have a look at that Behringer...matey from work send he would lend me his one to see if I like it or not...so will give it some thought.

Nice one as always broseph.

you can't go wrong for £20, if you use decent phono cables to record then you won't see any losses. No point in spending any more than that imo, you just wont here the difference at low volumes.

I used a phono to jack cable straight into my old laptop for years!

If its a generally new laptop, i.e. less than 18 months old, then the audio hardware in the PC/Laptop is more than adequate enough to record mixes. No need to buy an internal/external audio card.

If its a generally new laptop, i.e. less than 18 months old, then the audio hardware in the PC/Laptop is more than adequate enough to record mixes. No need to buy an internal/external audio card.

Laptop is absolutely shocking...hence the soundcard.

Appreciate the advice though Gloxxy, definitely need a new laptop

I just tried using a USB to 3.5mm jack converter because my laptop doesnt have an input. but there is so much delay between what i hear in my headphones direct from the mixer and the output of my speakers which are connected via an aux cable to my amp from my laptop that its really confusing when mixing. Does using a proper soundcard stop this or am i doing something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom