USB Interface or PCIE FW card?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Interruptor, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

I'm currently using a Fast Track Pro and recently started to have some audio drop-out problems with it so finally I got an excuse to dump that one, lol :cool:

Has anyone got any experiences using a Focusrite Scarlett? I am interested in the Scarlett 18i20, cuz the amount of ins and outs seems very nice - even more when compared to the price.

Another option of mine is to get a PCI-E firewire card, and go straight to Motu or Focusrite Sapphire Pro but I've heard you need to check that the base chip needs to be from Texas Instruments and the VIA ones are instant no-no. I am using a Asus Z87-K mobo if it helps.

Any opinions? Primarily checking for USB interfaces, but any experiences with PCI-E FW expand cards are most welcome, if they work correctly, I am off to the FW world :)

2. Deekay[AUS]

Deekay[AUS] Buffy's Bedtime Slayer

Anything by PreSonus or M-Audio.

3. flopix

flopix Member

USB interface for sure in my opinion...I really recommend you the Focusrite Scarlett becouse I just got one myself and its awesome, especially if you want to record!

4. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

Yeah, i got a Scarlett 2i2, never had any latency problems or anything runs really great, and is pretty cheap.

5. BadnewsDnB

BadnewsDnB Member

The cheap m audio stuff is terrible. Focusright make excellent products for their price so I would run with the scarlet

6. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

Thx for the replies, unfortunately I totally won't go with Maudio anymore even though a few of my mates use them and are totally fine with them, haha!

Visited a local music shop I know the guys at and had a chat about the topic, and he pointed out that the USB connection isn't really a problem until full channel recording - and I plan to do them (read: drums, minimum of 8 channels). Also, the Scarlett 18i20 is 499e here and Saffire Pro 40 which has basicly the same ins and outs is just a little over 400e - that combined with a FW card would be cheaper with faster connection = no 16ch recording problems with adat later?

Really dunno at this point :D Probably will be going with Focusrite though, they seem to have the best fun for money -factor at the moment in ~500e price range.

7. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

I would say USB primarily due to ease of changing computers. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and it has performed better than any other interface I ever had.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Interruptor likes this.
  8. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

^ True that, though if FW works better, I might fight through the "find the correct card with the correct base chip" -battle just go get it work haha! Do you know if the pres + the basic card is the same in the smaller Scarlett models?

9. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

I have no idea.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk