usb audio interface... what do i need

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
wondering if someone can help me here...

I've got a set of rokit krk rp8s. currently producing linked through my mixer from my laptop but want to upgrade to an audio interface!

I want the freedom of getting a piece of hardware in the future and want a solid interface but don't want to spend ridiculous amounts.

any help is appreciated!

cheers!

nothing wrong with rca except i think it just outputs a lower level. i.e. you wont be getting the most out of your interface & speakers. so it's worth getting some XLR's.

yup, the focusrite will do you fine. very nice trust worthy interface. it's what i was juggling with the 820i.

go for it.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 ----------

I'd try & go for firewire if you can though.

Last edited:
laptop doesnt have firewire... guessing its defeating the point if i get a firewire to usb adapter? :p

Ah I see, well i have a set of rokit rp8s... what do you mean by lower level.. volume?

you can get a PCI express card for most laptops. Saying that, if youve got USB 3 on your laptop go with that.

Yeah, volume.

youd probably be hard pushed with that price range.

I'm sure RCA will be fine mate. Just if you upgrade in the future youd be spending more. I'd save a little extra & look into the 820i, it's a monster for the price.

820i looks good, but i dnt have firewire??

too many choices... any ones I kind of decide on end up being discontinued too, need one in my life!

For those of you wondering about my damning of RCA/Unbalanced cables, the answer is two fold: A) They're not truly grounded. B) They do not reproduce the same signal strength as a balanced TRS or XLR.

Furthermore, if you're in a studio with lots of electronics/electricity (computers, hardware, etc), there is a significant chance of hum/feedback resonating through your speaker system. Furthermore, attempting to record an instrument or DJ mixer into an audio interface via RCA's will potentially introduce ground noise. Furthermore, due to it's lacking signal strength, you are not getting the most "bang for your buck" in terms of sending a hot signal into the digital realm. The rule of thumb with analog to digital audio recording is "shit in, shit out."

And if you still need convincing as to why RCA cables are not the connection of choice, think about a club you've played at. Do you think some skinny RCA cables are going to be found as the connection to a powerful speaker system? Not a chance. In order to achieve maximum output signal strength without fear of groundlooping/noise/feedback etc., a balanced cable, either XLR or TRS, is mandatory.

By all means you can use RCA's, but the reality is that you're selling yourself short in terms of playback and recording fidelity–ultimately affecting your production.

Cheers all.

lost, you are very correct.

and eve, seen as you wanna be plugging in some hardware eventually, as do i, using RCA is gonna knock your quality on that.

i really do reccomend saving a bit more, especially seen as you have those lovely 8's. My 5's sound absolutely insane through the 820.

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

google firewire for laptop

Back
Top Bottom