Upright Bass

Upright basses (or just basses) are normally panned hard to the right when in a Orchestral setup. When you put it in mid, just like subs on a dnb tune, it’ll sound muddy, because it’ll probably clash with your kicks or subs. So try to pan it just like in an orchestra or EQ the hell out of it so it doesn’t try to claim the low frequency spectrum as both Nazi Germany and URSS claimed Poland.

sounds pretty good I'd say, maybe a touch too quiet. Also I'm not sure if you've added already but chorus sounds really great on those instruments. Add a send with some chorus and subtle reverb for the top layer and have the main mid eq'd with a touch of tube maybe.

sounds pretty good I'd say, maybe a touch too quiet. Also I'm not sure if you've added already but chorus sounds really great on those instruments. Add a send with some chorus and subtle reverb for the top layer and have the main mid eq'd with a touch of tube maybe.
Bass to quite or the overall tune bro? Thanks for listening and feedback homie :)

That’s how Upright Basses we’re meant to be, man. If you read a bit about orchestration, both basses and tubas go all the way to the left (or right) so they don’t mess with the celli and violins (and trombones and bassoons). Of course, in a EDM song, you can bypass this, specially if the bass is layered with anything else for a dnb tune.

I'm not sure you need to copy how orchestras would mix their upright basses. The main reason they get panned in an orchestra is because if you were sitting in front of an orchestra the bass would be on the left hand side. so it's kind of imitating a live performance. I definitely think it makes more sense to pan in in the middle like you would a normal bass for dnb, unless you really like the sound of a panned bass.

That said, you do need some method of separating the bass out. My mixing ears are only mediocre but it seems to me that the frequencies in the sound that make it sound like a double bass are the same ones that make it boomy: this kind of makes sense since the double bass instrument itself is basically a big empty box so it has a huge natural reverb. Normally I think I would add some higher frequency content (like 1k+) for definition but there just isn't really any with a double bass.

Having said all that, I think it sounds pretty good as it is at the moment. So maybe you don't need to do anything

I really like this dude.

I reckon the odd real subtle sub hit on the 2nd drop or possibly a re-arrangement of the actual upright pattern would really take it to another level/create progression.

Good stuff though bro, if you could fire me a copy when you're finished that would be awesome! :2thumbs:

I'm not sure you need to copy how orchestras would mix their upright basses. The main reason they get panned in an orchestra is because if you were sitting in front of an orchestra the bass would be on the left hand side. so it's kind of imitating a live performance. I definitely think it makes more sense to pan in in the middle like you would a normal bass for dnb, unless you really like the sound of a panned bass.

That said, you do need some method of separating the bass out. My mixing ears are only mediocre but it seems to me that the frequencies in the sound that make it sound like a double bass are the same ones that make it boomy: this kind of makes sense since the double bass instrument itself is basically a big empty box so it has a huge natural reverb. Normally I think I would add some higher frequency content (like 1k+) for definition but there just isn't really any with a double bass.

Having said all that, I think it sounds pretty good as it is at the moment. So maybe you don't need to do anything
Thank you, I have at and to the left by about + 15 and it seems to move it far enough over without making it sound awkward I'm pretty happy with it plus there is a bunch of surgical eq'ing going on

I really like this dude.

I reckon the odd real subtle sub hit on the 2nd drop or possibly a re-arrangement of the actual upright pattern would really take it to another level/create progression.

Good stuff though bro, if you could fire me a copy when you're finished that would be awesome! :2thumbs:
Right on thanks dude. Yes I agree the Baseline needs much variation added, I've mainly been working on them mixdown as I go and have put back seat to the creativity process for the time being. I learned a new sampler trick in means of triggering transients to create a shitload of patterns using an ARP so I'm going to give that a go and save the best sections. I'll definitely send you a copy once I am finished :beers:

So say for example on the first note of the upright samp.

A secondary low & deep layered sub hit, maybe lasting till halfway through the phrase?

I think it would add a bit of definition/impact

Or...

I could be completely wrong & it would sound awful :lol:

Back
Top Bottom