Untitled (First DnB Tune)

cele

VIP Junglist
Soooooo, I've had Reason for a while now and played around a bit here and then but in the last month I started really working with it because I really want to make music. This is my first Tune ever to go beyond a 8 bar loop and now I'm wondering if I should even finish it. I spent sooooooo friggin long on the intro and it really is nothing special (I Think I needed double the time just for the first 32 bars and they suck) and now I want to hear some opinions if the tune is worth finishing (urgh, the breakdown is gonna take at least as long as the intro, and i still wanna add little things to the main part). Be as harsh as you want, I personally think the tune is quite uninspired (I have cool ideas in comparison in my head for my next tunes) because it sounds like something everyone's heard before, but it's still my first tune and I kinda still want to finish it. blabla, just tell me what I could do better and if I should finish the tune please and thank you for your time :).
Oh and tips for the Intro/breakdown would be muchmuchmuch appreciated! Oh and this was entirely produced on headphones because I really have nothing else that's acceptable for the time being, so sorry if the mixdown sounds wrong on your systems/whatever. :)

Hi,
You need to work on the arrengement, and add more sounds and instruments, it is good to have something new going on every 16 bars, as the track can't be too repetitive. You have a good foundation here. I would start by adding some more hihats, as most of the time you can only hear the kick and the snare.

eq the basses in your drop a little harder so they become 2 different things but glue them back together by running them through a buss and applying effects on both of them together!

Hi,
You need to work on the arrengement, and add more sounds and instruments, it is good to have something new going on every 16 bars, as the track can't be too repetitive. You have a good foundation here. I would start by adding some more hihats, as most of the time you can only hear the kick and the snare.

Yeah I also want to add a bit more stuff, I already tried changing the main patterns every 16 bars (lead synth and bass), but maybe I'll find some more variations (especially if I start working on the second drop). I have a hihat pattern I quite like, maybe I should eq it out a bit more so it stands out more (and maybe I should switch that one up too when the bass/lead switches), thanks for your input!

eq the basses in your drop a little harder so they become 2 different things but glue them back together by running them through a buss and applying effects on both of them together!

It would be very helpful for me if you could be a bit more specific. I only have one main bass (simple reese with some automation and distortion) and a different sub. So should I split the frequencies of the reese into mids and highs and then process each one of them differently? After that glueing it back together through a buss/compressor? (not that I know how that works, gonna need to look up some toturials, never split frequencies before :oops:). Thanks for your input too!

Gonna start working on it again in the next days, feel free to criticise some more (and some tips for intro/breakdowns would be awesome).
cheers

ps: I feel really stupid but how can I do more than 100 bars in the sequencer window in Reason? I mean i can draw some more notes but I don't have the notegrid or whatever it's called in the later bars.

Last edited:
Absolutely, frequency splitting would kinda nice here i guess... I was talking about the noisy synth kinda thing that kicks in the first time 0:20 and continues through the drop :)

Back
Top Bottom