Unprocessed drum samples and synthesizing your own drum samples

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
So like a lot of you guys here I tend to use a lot of the Vengeance sample packs, but recently I felt the need to produce my own drum sounds. I'm getting into processing old vintage drum sounds, so I found some unprocessed sample packs that I use for that. Just a simple 909 and 808 pack, as well as some of the MPC and AKAI packs. Any of you guys know some more packs that have good quality UNPROCESSED drum samples? This could either be electronic samples or accoustic samples.

Also I might want to start synthesizing my own drum sound and layering them with the vintage drum sounds to add subtle timbres to the synthesized drums, but how would I go around in synthesizing drum sounds? I've never ever synthesized drum sounds before so I wanted to ask you guys your view on this. I know that it has something to do with the envelopes, but a little more info would be good.

Thanks already!

Well I think kicks can be generated by a lowpassed square wave with quick attack, short sustain and a slight release. Hats can be produced using white noise with similar envelopes to the kick. Snares on the other hand I'm not too sure about....maybe a combination of white noise and square waves?

Old funk breaks mate, start visiting 2nd hand records shops if i was you.

Since all these are mastered tunes those sounds are processed, I'm looking for unprocessed raw samples here. I've a huge library of funk, soul and rock breaks already, which I use a lot, but I want to start working with unprocessed hits.

Since all these are mastered tunes those sounds are processed, I'm looking for unprocessed raw samples here. I've a huge library of funk, soul and rock breaks already, which I use a lot, but I want to start working with unprocessed hits.

Sorry mate wasn't thinking properly, guess just recording a drummer is the best way obviously, I know that Photek did that back in the day, cut up the recordings and made the hits into breaks, unless you know a good drummer with a good kit, it probably isn't going to be very cheap!

DOA is also good for these sort of packs too, keep searching, I will let you know if I find anything.

Well I think kicks can be generated by a lowpassed square wave with quick attack, short sustain and a slight release. Hats can be produced using white noise with similar envelopes to the kick. Snares on the other hand I'm not too sure about....maybe a combination of white noise and square waves?

Also play with pitch envelopes as well, really quick pitch drops.

Sorry mate wasn't thinking properly, guess just recording a drummer is the best way obviously, I know that Photek did that back in the day, cut up the recordings and made the hits into breaks, unless you know a good drummer with a good kit, it probably isn't going to be very cheap!

DOA is also good for these sort of packs too, keep searching, I will let you know if I find anything.

Yeah well since I work together and hang out with a lot of different artists like MC's, drummers, guitarists, etc. I might go with asking one of them to record me some drum hits.

Also play with pitch envelopes as well, really quick pitch drops.

Might give that a try, anyone what plugins would you use for synthesizing drums sounds?

yes i found an awesome vsti long ago that synthesized all the sounds in the standard 808 style drum kit, with full access to all the knobs, ill see if i cant find it again. also remember that it was distinctly less fun than i had thought it would be.

Back
Top Bottom