Unleashing your creativity...

elmaruk

slannndaaaaaaar
VIP Junglist
How do you guys go about doing it?

Sometimes I get stuck into the "how" things are done rather the "why"...know what I mean? Any ideas on ways of breaking that habit?

Last edited:
acid

*edited for seriousness.

im assuming you mean with regards to production, but with my design work if im lacking creativeness and inspiration i find that doing a tutorial is rather good. never fails to get my brain kicked in to gear and you learn something new in the process. win win!

:P

Nice. Production, arranging and any other area really.
Yeah, that's what I mean..."lacking creativeness" I get it sometimes and try to figure ways of overcoming it...tutorials sound like a good way. Thanks!

tend to shift my focus to another area of the track... if i'm stuck on the drums & percussion i'll spend some time working on the bass or atmospheres or vice versa. also listening to other tracks from different genres/sub genres is always helpful

weed ;)

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

get an idea, make you idea come to life!! like your signature explains, wunce u hav enuff technical knowledge you can actuate your ideas fluently

i think you have to be naturally creative to some extent (gd at art) things like this being smart helps as well I guess.. but ye weed helps too ;)

I get this problem, sometimes it will last 20 minutes, sometimes 3 weeks.

For the first problem, I will either watch tutorials as previously stated, or just piss around with my patches until something gets me going.

Watching films (for me) is a good source of inspiration, things like football factory or rise of the foot soldier, good drug fuelled british underground movies always gets me back on the tunes.

Listening to different genres, looking at paintings, going to shows, any of that can trigger ideas, but usually I just start doing "wrong" things until I hear an idea. i'll sample something randomly and push and pull the frequencies, pitch, layers, etc until it is something else. from one sound i'll end up with a spectrum of dry/wet, high/low, narrow/wide sounds enough that there will begin to be a natural way to assemble them or ideas of what else to pull in to work with.

I tend to just mess about with a synth if my creativity isnt flowing. Sometimes It'll turn out good cos I'll learn something new.

Other times it'll be a waste of time lol!

Ha, I actually had this thing last night.
I sat there and analysed a saw wave in Voxengo Span2. Looked at all the harmonics up to the 24th one and worked out their intervals relative to the fundamental. Saw that if you apply a narrow boost to the ninth harmonic you actually do create a slightly 9th feel (coincindence) as the ninth harmonic is a tone above the fundamental 4 octaves higher. And boosting other harmonics gives other flavours. Then I looked at the pulse and all the Classic waveforms.
Really interesting.
Like I discovered that the triangle and the square waves have the same harmonic content only the triangle wave has the high frequencies rolled off earlier. And they both have the frequencies that you get if you take a saw wave and remove all the even harmonics.
In fact the saw wave was the most harmonically rich waveform that there was and all the others could be looked at in a way as precisely filtered saw waves.

Anyway, after some hours of all that I didn't really have Noisia or Phace so I don't really know if it's what you need.

I never had problem with inspiration or creativity... I only stuck on technical side so cant really say anything that can help you

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

turn the bassline master down mate,the inbalance is ruining what could be interesting tune

can u tell me if its any better will appreciate it alot im using a 1 SHIT speaker and until i get new ones I have to rely on feedback, cheers mate

Instruments help me a lot melodically...mainly with the likes of guitar, piano and drums, things are laid out differently to what you see in a sequencer. I wouldn't think of using half of the chords I do if I didn't play guitar...

Other than that - working with other people usually does it. Everybody has a different approach!

Back
Top Bottom