university?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by apples, Feb 9, 2006.

1. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

who's done it and how the hell did you stay focused??
    (stay off net?):rinsed:

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i did. and didnt (meaning i screwed up the last year and got a job in a bar instead). i dont live in a van down by the river but i am getting older every year.

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I started at Portsmouth and quit :teeth:

Software Engineering for about 6 months.

4. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

thats just great, really made me wanna focus now. thanks for the great tips and positive thinking you 2.........

5. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

I've done it.

It was only a 1 year course though, so it wasn't too hard to stay focussed. I though it would be a doss, but it was pretty hard work.

And it was Journalism, that I had wanted to do for ages.

It's deffo made a difference on job applications since...

Quite a laugh, met loads of people etc.

6. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

:uberlaugh

Sorry!! You have done about 3 years of it, so you've done really well! (y)

7. logikz

if anything i thought itd help you focus. the prospect of growing alot older working a 9-5 that doesnt inspire you creatively whatsoever should focus you plenty on getting that education. im going back to uni at some point, that im sure of. but im not done with the real world yet.

8. kama

kama benkama.net

I just started at a polytechic so no uni shiznit for me. It's tearing me up though, i totally hate it. 4 years of educaton and i'll hit the unemployment que.

9. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

5 years + PHD.

+ work.

Keep the booze & raving under control and keep focused on the target - a job and wage you like.

If you are there just because of the fit girls or because there's nothing better to do or you're not motivated to finish, then you won't finish.

10. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

When I say under control - you can have a shitload of fun but you can't let it interfere to the extent you fail exams or get crap grades.

Uni is not school, nodoby wants you to finish, nobody will hold your hand and you can piss it all away and nobody will care.

Its grownup time.

Which also means more sex and vodka. Pluses and minuses.

11. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

i'm defo here for the fit girls!:gang_bang hahaha

logikz u defo made me smile which probably i didnt show very well.....oops

you lot are so right but my main problem is i have no inclination to go in to the field of work i study...i just need tips to get me through these last few months and not lose track.

dustek i did fuck about the past few months partly coz i have no motivation but im on track now.........just how do i stay here :whipem:

12. logikz

exaclty the same boat as i was in, wasnt interested at all which alone makes it practically impossible so cudos for coming as far as you have. plus i wasnt used to having to study to pass the exams. that, a heavy diet of mixed drugs and an unhealthy relationship (surprise surprise, women and so forth) amounted in me losing the plot and traling off into the wilderness.

13. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Think of the time you have wasted if you don't get your degree.

You could have been raving or a job. So if you drop it now you haven't even pissed away a bit of your life, you've just wasted it.

And a degree will give you more money at a job even if its not in your field.

And you'll have respect from other people for sticking through it AND you'll have more self respect for finishing what you've started.

So:
    1) think of the lost time,
    2) think of the money,
    3) think of the respect.

14. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

i did 5 years architecture. i absolutely hated it, and i didnt realized it till my final year...ironic is that when i actually took the decision not to actually work wot i studied, thats when i started enjoying it most..funny eh?

but basicly it all narrows down to what dustek said.
    theres no point givin up on the last year. Its hard final exams an all, but do give some attention man. its worth it..
    i mean, i got my degree with 3rd honours..
    fuk it, ya know, it wont get me into some top class architectural firm, but i couldnt care less anyway..
    (and i can tell chicks im an architect too.!)

I did two years of the 9-5 thing afterwards, but i just couldnt hack it.
    honestly man, huge respect to anyone putin up with that shit, i just cant,
    so im back to uni for another 3 years, and actually doin sumthin i like this time..
    propably gonna be robbing banks after these studies...
    :teeth:

15. mesh

mesh Active Member

did it, loved it, raved my ass off too. probably why it took 5 years !

sorta working in my field, sorta ... but I actually liked what I studied (media and PR) so it helps to know that.

dustek whats your phd in?

16. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

ok jus to clear it up i am a lady....haha....

thank u for all ur advice, i'm not the sorta person to give up easily, i'm just finding it so hard to find motivation to get through it!

i have no idea what i wanna do! would you lot say you are happy now??:confused:

17. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Still doing it - its in a rut actually, got to move my ass but I'm still young :)

Law. Mwahaha.

18. apples

apples WINNER is back ;)

i like your out look on life:readthis:

19. Indi

Indi Tha Original ThreadKilla!

BA in HR Management 4 years.
    Had a great time in my freshers year, but had to get down to serious bizniz in the rest of the course. See I took a low interest student loan out and put it directly into a high student savings account for 4 years, got a fulltime night job to pay for my living. Used to go to work at 11pm through the night until 8am, go straight to uni from work, and then sleep 4-5 hours in the afternoon. Did it like that for nearly 4 years. When my course was finished, took the money out of my savings account, paid back the loan and used the interest to pay my tuition fees. No uni debts = bonus! (y)

20. TooEZ

TooEZ Gibber Jabber

I'm at my second year reading English at Loughborough at the moment, and have also been finding it difficult to keep focussed and motivated.

It is too tempting to go out the whole time and get wasted, meet girls (or boys in your case!), smoke the good stuff, mix, MC, snowboard, watch Deal or No Deal....in fact just about everything that isn't the course. It's great fun, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day you just have to sit yourself down and ask yourself: "Why?"

Some aspects of my course I really like, and some I really hate (get to the fucking point, Dickens) - but, at the end of the day it is a means to an end. Dustek is right. Your degree will help you to get the job you want, and uni life will help you to make yourself the person you want to be. It is, however, entirely up to you. The thing with a degree is that it is not as instantly gratifying as some other things in life, but that bit of paper you get at the end with your name and a 2:1, or 1st, will make it all seem worthwhile.

I have managed to find a lot of motivation recently by joining a gym....sounds weird, but it works for me. I go to the gym with the frame of mind that if I look after myself physically, then I look after myself mentally. As a result, I can come back completely reinvigorated and fresh in the mind (even though my body aches badly sometimes!) and ready to do work - it helps get me into a routine, which is invaluable.

I hope that helps, good luck with it all! :thumbsup: