University Course

Discussion in 'Production' started by greenflydnb, May 14, 2012.

1. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

Guys...

I want to go to university to study Music Production, is Music Technology the best option? Has/is anyone doing this?

Cheers.

2. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

OMG. Great opportunity to stop someone from getting into thousands of pounds worth of debt getting a degree that no employer would look twice.

Who's gonna step up to the plate?

3. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

lol if you can do that and give me a better option then happy days!! ?

4. `Matt

`Matt Member

Sound engieering/electrical engieering would be a far better choice and would help your music production somewhat aswell. Making tunes is a hobby not a degree!

5. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

Yeh but i want to learn about all the technical things aswell, sound engineering sounds cool, i reckon if i understand all the technical stuff it will really help. And plus i could make tunes throughout the whole time at uni ;). I love music and want to learn everything possible about it.

6. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

If you wanna go to uni and do production go for it mate :)

I am definitely considering it! Like, seriously, I still have another year of A Levels to go yet though

7. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

yeh but do you want to live like a bum for the rest of your life?

you think if you get a degree in music production you will be able to make killer tunes that everyone wants to spend money on or what? is there another area youre interested in?

8. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Why do you need to pay out thousands to learn what you want? the internet is a wide place filled with information

9. savoirfaire

savoirfaire 16

As said youre better off doing sound engineering or related degree that gives you better chance of getting a job in such an industry - mixing mastering, sound production, technology

it may not be as orientated towards music production but it will teach you skills related to that anyway.

Think strategically.

Why do a degree in art and be a wasteman when you can do a degree in digital web design and marketing?

10. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

I did a HND in sound eng, then a degree in media tech which was video and audio, found i enjoyed video more. now i am doing very well. alot of my mates went into the acoustics side, get on the course and u will discover areas which interest u more then others then go with it...its not just about learnin 'sound engineering' its learning all aspects and u will find yourself doing different stuff....do it mate

11. parsons19

parsons19 Active Member

Oh by the way a production course isn't just aimed at making your own music. It teaches you about producing bands in a studio etc.

I also believe you learn about mixing etc. a live act, Sound Engineer!

The course I looked at does anyways

12. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

True, well i figured i love music, its the only thing I'm properly interested in, whatever job your in you should always enjoy it right? Its still only an idea, i don't want to fucking work in a shop, call centre, anything like that, i don't know what to do.

13. neddez

neddez Member

Yeah man I'm in a similar boat but decided that it's not worth all the debts and shit.

On paper it's a fairly bollocks degree and at £9k a year it'll leave you worse off (IMO and the opinions of the people I've discussed it with).

If you don't know what you wanna do take a gap year? It gives you time to think about shit and/or make a lil money. I went to Australia for a year, ended up making £100 a day.

edit: Also in regards to this:

I think you'll find that there aren't many people who can say they enjoy their jobs, so it's more of a blessing than a human right. That being said, I'm willing to risk not getting a degree (gasp) in order to see if I can secure myself an income doing something I'm passionate about (or gives me the time to do it).

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  14. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

Sound! What you doing now then man?

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Yeh this was my first idea, but don't have the money to do that :(, how did you go about doing that?

15. neddez

neddez Member

For me, I had about £2k in savings (£1k after buying a return ticket). Had to borrow another £1k from my parents in order to get me established, but when I was, things were pretty sweet.

I'm a bit hesitant to be all 'yeah do it mate' as my future is uncertain. Came back from Aus about 9 months ago, I'm unemployed (voluntarily) and not in education, but I DO have money and I DO have a lot of free time to spend producing... so swings and roundabouts. Where I'll be a couple years from now, who's to say?

What last year DID give me was perspective on who I was, where I was at and where I wanted to be. So for that alone I'd say it's worth taking a year out for. I could still go to Uni now (although it'd cost 3x as much as it would have done..) if I wanted.

I'm not looking to make money from music (would be great) but from starting a business. Nothing major, but something that gives me the time and freedom to pursue music as a hobby really. Only really dipped my toes in the water so far though.

If you wanna know anything else lemme know

16. Joey AdhD

Joey AdhD sweaty scouser

check the recent were do you work thread!

17. `Matt

`Matt Member

This is pretty off topic but how did you get out to aus and what was the visa situation like. I gather you can go out there for a year as an unskilled worker/hoilday. Been thinking about fucking off to aus/canada as ive been unemployed for too long now and the job i was just about to start today fell threw :/

18. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

That sounds pretty cool man, id love to do anything like that, did you find it hard to get into?

19. neddez

neddez Member

How did I get out there? With a plane ticket and a Visa (£120) basically. There's a few other bits and bobs (travel insurance etc) but that's basically it.

The working holiday Visa (417) gives you 12 months in Australia.

I went when I was 18 through some lame company (you basically pay them £500-1000 and they babysit you for 2 weeks, not really necessary). Use gumtree to find work etc. The economy is fucking good over there, so your money has a lot of value when you exchange it for £ at the end.

A LOT of Brits go over to Australia so it's a well-trodden path, part of the culture etc. They call them backpackers.

20. greenflydnb

greenflydnb Member

Know how you feel mate, dry as fuck init!! Guessing you want to go away just to think about what you wanna do? and have fun of course :)

Last edited: May 14, 2012