Unidentified (WIP) - RedRaven (heavy bass)

RedRavenRuler

boom baby
Hey everyone this is my first post here but I think this song is in a decent enough place to ask for some feedback and suggestions on it so far =) thanks everyone!

*side note*

none of the synth sounds, or synth fx sounds are NOT presets they are all created by me (including the bells) and a lot of the drum sounds are recording from my own drumset =D

-UPDATED WIP VERSION-

Here's an updated version (most just a few more percussion things added and changed up the main bass drop in at 1:49 on)

Last edited:
yeah mate really feeling the vibes on this one. Sick sample, sick drum beat sick bassline.

Makes me feel a bit apprehensive though. From the drop sounds more like a build up to a drop. I think you should build on the idea you have now, add some more percussion to that beat to make it heavier and fuller, then put some work into the bass to give it more body. Use what you have now as the build up to the drop. IMO

yeah mate really feeling the vibes on this one. Sick sample, sick drum beat sick bassline.

Makes me feel a bit apprehensive though. From the drop sounds more like a build up to a drop. I think you should build on the idea you have now, add some more percussion to that beat to make it heavier and fuller, then put some work into the bass to give it more body. Use what you have now as the build up to the drop. IMO

Could you be more exact on what you mean? You said add more body to the bass what do you mean by that? Less deep and bassy?

not less. To be fair i just turned up my speakers a bit more and it sounds pretty heavy.

I guess what I mean is more to do with the progression of the drums.

After the drop you have one drum phrase that repeats 32 bars, you then add some percussion building the drums more furthering the feel of a second, bigger drop coming (which is also enhanced by the continuation of the sample "listen carefully" or whatever) but then it just drops down to the ame thing again.

All I'm saying is that that bassline is huge, and your wasting it. IMO

not less. To be fair i just turned up my speakers a bit more and it sounds pretty heavy.

I guess what I mean is more to do with the progression of the drums.

After the drop you have one drum phrase that repeats 32 bars, you then add some percussion building the drums more furthering the feel of a second, bigger drop coming (which is also enhanced by the continuation of the sample "listen carefully" or whatever) but then it just drops down to the ame thing again.

All I'm saying is that that bassline is huge, and your wasting it. IMO

Yeah I agree I do need to make the drums more interesting by adding in some more percussion like bongo's, tambourine's, shakers and what not... I'll also work on the bassline and add some change ups to it. Thanks for the feedback man!

bigger kick would make it better, try and make the drums roll out a bit like adding more percussion throughout like scat said. the bass is wicked though man, well done

There's room for loooads of percussion here, go nuts with that shit!

I agree the bass needs more body, all the sound is in the mid range. I know when you create a bass and you add effects or filters or whatever, there's so much stuff that sounds killer going on in the mid, I think one needs to learn to restrein oneself and keep that bass in the low frequencies.

And you've got a few ghost snares or something that seem to be off-beat and end up being a tad annoying...

Re: Unidentified (WIP) - RedRaven (heavy bass) UPDATED

There's room for loooads of percussion here, go nuts with that shit!

I agree the bass needs more body, all the sound is in the mid range. I know when you create a bass and you add effects or filters or whatever, there's so much stuff that sounds killer going on in the mid, I think one needs to learn to restrein oneself and keep that bass in the low frequencies.

And you've got a few ghost snares or something that seem to be off-beat and end up being a tad annoying...

I fixed the ghost snare issue but the bass is pretty sub heavy so I don't know where you get it's all mid range? What speakers are you listening on?

Last edited:
The bass sounds pretty decent to me, although I would add a little bit more variation, maybe pick a different bass sound and crossfade between those.
The drums need much more work, add more elements as well as work on the drum sounds a bit more, kick can be fatter as well as the snare.

Hi Red.
Drums need more variation, have to be more complex, there is a lots of space to fit ghosts and more hihats. Bassline is decent, but wouldn't hurt if you add some sub-bass parts between existing bassline cycle.
Dis can be a great track, I would rethink a structure a little and work on this tune a lil more.
cheers.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback guys! I'm gonna try to get it finished up today and post the final up for you all =) I've added even more percussion since WIP 5 and also mixed it better so the kick cuts through more, getting ready to layer the snares with my own recording of my snare to fatten it up some. As for adding another bass to mix between I might but doubt it. I'm still running a single core 1.86Ghz intel processor on my laptop and this song is making me do some extreme things to keep it cool (such as propping it up on all 4 corners so there's an inch of air under the laptop and pointing a 20 inch fan at it >.>)

didnt like the simple sounds in the intro, but, fuk me, that drops into sum FILTH, very nice work! seriously messed up drum and bass

Back
Top Bottom