Uneven bass levels

Discussion in 'Production' started by D-Jhepz, Oct 21, 2013.

1. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

I have a problem with my bass... got it sounding sweet but for some reason the levels and timbres are random changing and i cant for the life of me figure out why

IM using a simple massive patch some distortion and chorus and verb

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

sounds fine to me

D-Jhepz likes this.
  3. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Try resampling it, and just use the part that sounds the best.

No more random things happening ; ).

D-Jhepz likes this.
  4. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

if u think it sounds fine then maybe its just me... its sounds ok in the full tune but alone something different...

and allow resample it yet got a good deal going one here still in the processing of it all

5. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

What's your dry/wet on the chorus? I hear what you're talking about, do you have any velocity controls setup, and are the notes all coming in at the same velocity? It's like sometimes the sub cuts out and other times the upper-mids sound like they're a lot more overdriven than other times.

P. weird bro. Was your computer built on an ancient burial ground or anything like that? This might be a job for a minister.

6. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

100percent wet and yes i have velocity on the hits but its more that timbre change - from some thing quite dull to a hectic grrr sound

7. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

;). I'm gonna go ahead and say that's got most to do with it. Take the D/W down a bit and fiddle with some chorus knobs and you should be able to get something more consistent.

8. Binary_UK

Binary_UK Binary.

if the volume levels are changing, compress, bounce, and import, should sort that nicely

9. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

have you listened on headphones? it could well be standing waves in your room, as i mentioned in another post, causing the bass to seem like its vanishing/reappearing/boosting with different notes - cant listen here, but i will later if i get a minute

10. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Without seeing the patch etc it's a bit tricky. Could be a good situation for a sine wave layer underneath. ummm...In Massive - OSC section - is the 'Restart via Gate' box on. (although tbh I don't think that would be causing this much of a problem???) A high pass filter somewhere? (the highest note seems to have bass present)

11. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

il put up an image when im home but trust its so simple... i have the bass cut out at 100 cos i have a separate sub layer...

and miszt at the moment im not at my own house so im producing only on headphones

12. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

I know your problem Hepz.

It's either you forgot to turn on restart via gate, or the pitch shifter wet dry is between 1-100%

I had the same problem with one of my basses and apparently when you have the pitch shifter dry-wet in certain areas, it can completely change the phase/timbre, and it only happens when you play different notes with MIDI (i.e a riff that has more than one note). Get your keyboard out and :spam: random notes and you'll see what i mean.

13. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

pitch shifter?! im running straight out of snyth into midi.. i have no osc movement but maybe its the velicity... however in cycle mood the changes dnt occur at the same places so its not velocity

14. Mania

Mania i fukin wot m8

As an insert in Massive? What i'm hearing is exactly what i described.

15. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i think its sine shaper im using but im 99% its the same when i turned it off too... just wait till im home and il upload a pic... thanks fr the help so far...

il link up the wip when im home too for u all to see the bass in motion

16. JReilly

JReilly Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm just like the misses!

That can also be sexual.

17. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

[​IMG]

as promised

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  18. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I'd put money on it being the "restart via Gate" option being unchecked in the OSC tab. If you have more than one voice in the unison, then this being unchecked would cause the issues you mention

19. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

yeah you probably right then i have 8 voices so il check tonight thanks man

20. Materia

Materia New Member

You really need to post a pic of the massive settings. It could be a number of reasons. I've had that problem before, but I always fixed it by making two instances of the synth, EQ'ing the sounds so that there is one version with just the sub and/or low mid bass, and one with a roll-off at about 150hz. That way you can remove the effects from the sub bass instance and maybe changing it to a wave that has no LFO on it. That way the bass is not cutting in and out. I mostly set the new instance to either just a saw or sine WAV, the only settings I keep the same are the attack and glide times/settings. When it gets complicated I want both sounds to have the same settings, even if the waves are different.