UNDERSTANDING PAREMETRIC EQ

JungleFever

VIP Junglist
:lickface:

Fairly new to mastering and EQing, just wonderin if anyone can tell me the hz the kick and snare should hit at as i cant quite remember, i think its 60 and 100 but not sure.

Plus im starting to get to grips with paremtric eq but no 100% any tips on making your beats sound clean as fuck like need for mirrors :lickface:

thanks!

kick normally peaks around 80-110 and snare around 180-220 however it depends on the sample you are using. try using a frequency analyzer to see where it's naturally peaking

It'll vary with each sample, and remember that EQ is to shape whats already there, not to create sound. If you have a sample that has nothing worthwhile around say, 100hz, then boosting there with EQ wont add anything extra to the sound, you'll just be making unimportant bits of it louder if that makes any sense.

A good way to start, is to set up your EQ, set a narrow bandwidth/Q, with quite a lot of boost (enough to make an obvious difference), and sweep through the whole frequency range. It'll become obvious which parts of the spectrum are important frequencies that help your sample hit nicely, and which parts are needless. You can then make your decision of where to cut or boost from that.

It'll become more obvious the more times you do it, and you'll start to get a good idea of whats going to work just by listening.

kl cheers mate that does help, but with the drum beat is it better to take or change the low or high end of the spectrum?

Back
Top Bottom