DnB underground dnb is threatened by poppy dnb: marcus intalex

..we all know a tune that sells well commercially usually isn't popular with the underground fans.

That didn´t apply to the hardcore/oldskool. It simply was there. Kinda underground but somehow popular aswell. There was no such thing like "underground fans". Of course there have been people digging a bit more obscure and dark stuff aswell but it wasn´t that distinctive like nowadays. As I said, a lot of tunes sold well, nobody cared.

And yeah it was probably the ultra cheesy Sesame Street intro.

They didn´t change much, so I´d say yes it was. They didn´t have the intention to make a commercial successful sesame street tune tho.

All I know is that it's a shit tune..

It´s not the best tune but I was still lurking in front of the television to catch it :D Each to their own.

..and every other sub base release is awesome.

No. :teeth:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should probably move to London or Bristol or somewhere bigger/better to get this though.

The drum & bass scene in Bristol has definitely declined in the past few years. Everyone here is on their deep house and garage vibes. Obviously, there are still a lot of drum and bass nights but you'd be suprised at how many don't sell out. Most of the drum and bass is now in room 2 of clubs and the main room is house or garage. It's what draws the crowd here. London is definitely where the deeper dnb has gone to, in my opinion.

Abstractions are still going strong though which is good. But they aren't that often.

I'm not really one to post that much in forums but I think there's a point to take from Marcus here .....

Soul:ution has been running successfully for 10 years without succumbing to what I like to call radio 1 D&B. I've been too plenty pf Soul:ution nights... They're always busy.... the music's always top notch..... the vibe is always just right.

I choose not to go to the nights where music will be played that I won't like.

It's that simple. Stick to the stuff you enjoy... ignore the stuff you don't!

I really don't understand why people panic so much. The ENTIRE scene is not under threat of disappearing. It just won't happen. I've been in it for over 15 years and seen many changes but the scene always changes, evolves, goes full circle.

If it wasn't for poppy dnb this forum would be dead as at least 50% of the members on here would never have been exposed to dnb

He sounds bitter about all the tits and pussy that Fresh has got since going commercial

If it wasn't for poppy dnb this forum would be dead as at least 50% of the members on here would never have been exposed to dnb

He sounds bitter about all the tits and pussy that Fresh has got since going commercial

Ha ha. To be fair Marcus has always been somewhat of an inspiration for me as he's always stuck to his guns. Granted he's made a living off his passion but he isn't a super star DJ. I've bought every soul:r release from 1-60 because I know the quality control with soul:r fits in with what I like. He makes and signs music that has soul. I say props to the man!

If you're serious about your love with music, you won't fall for them trends and will keep making/putting out the same stuff you feel the most (this one goes for producers/label owners). Also, your point fails at the matter of thousands of fans/DJs who will refuse to listen to/play out the commercial/cheesy stuff and will keep the "underground" scene alive, while at least a fair few of those superficial fans will sooner or later join them as they discover the depths of the genre. I can see this happening in here, where there's hardly any strong history of the genre. About 10 years ago, you would bring an underground producer and you'll end up broke, because there would be like 10 people to show up at the very best. Nowadays, promoters can easily afford to bring in pretty much anyone they like because there are enough heads to attend the party and make it profitable enough for the promoters to keep going.

Superficial? How does one become a proper fan from the beginning then, is there a club you must join? But seriously, everyone has to start somewhere, some people only follow trends. As I said previously, some might stay and educate themselves, trend followers will come and go.

Not everyone wants the success of Fresh tho, loads of DNB producers are happy making underground DNB and there be loads more to come yet.

Pendulum was massive, has it had an advise effect on our scene? I think the answer is no.

Dubstep, well that's a whole different discussion.

whats happening with dubstep? All Im seeing is the commercial stuff branching off one way and the underground scene still staying alive and well... exactly like the dnb scene! If the producers that just want to make money choose to make tunes to appeal to the mainstream crowd, then they will all move that direction and make way for a new breed of upcoming producers who are all making the underground sound and everyones happy.

I really dont see the issue. There will always be an underground dnb scene. Whether or not the mainstream/commercial dnb sound becomes more popular is irrelevant.

Glad to have posted my thoughts, because you're changing my view on things and that's a good thing in this case. I think I'm just staring blind at the disappointment in Fresh and alikes that 'leave' the scene to make shallow music for the equally shallow. It has it's good side indeed (and these replies help me in seeing that even more) but it just doesn't feels right if a don turns to the shallow side, if it's some bloke starting out with making radiogash I can more easily accept it, I just assume they just have bad taste in making music.

I'm not fully convinced on the promotor side of it though, I see so many party concepts hollowing out. Artists that used to raise no doubt at all if they were gonna play a good set or not, and that's not the case anymore for a lot of names. I went to a party last year promoted by one of the major dnb promotors in belgium who's known for his quality line ups. This time was a special edition for NYE (which means a more commercial line up these days) and Sigma was on the list. All of a sudden he started playing house (and not the good kind). Afterwards on the sigma twitter account laughter about how a sick night it was and that he (think only one of them was there) felt like david guetta. All the real heads that were still there (a lot of them had already left because of some serious gash in sets before that) just split, leaving only the kids and non-heads there. Most of the talks I had afterwards about it with people I knew resulted in finding out that I was practically the only one who stayed and hoped for a bit of evolution throughout the night towards more real drum and bass. Didn't happen. And it's this that opposes me to all these evolutions... It seems harder and harder to escape from promising nights (not the one with sigma on the line up obviously) turning into disappointment. IMO

I kinda hope there's gonna be more enlightening comments about how I'm wrong here, because I really have issues with looking on the bright side on this matter.

Last edited:
jesus christ... drum & bass is becoming more uplifting, old fans get pissed.

i remember a certain other once-underground genre where this happened as well...

either way, my stance remains the same on it: dont want the genre to be "mainstream" and "commercial"? dont listen to it. because its inevitable.
i love all drum & bass, it really doesnt matter what petty subgenre stamp you want to throw on it. if the vibes are there, theyre there.

jesus christ... drum & bass is becoming more uplifting, old fans get pissed.

i remember a certain other once-underground genre where this happened as well...

either way, my stance remains the same on it: dont want the genre to be "mainstream" and "commercial"? dont listen to it. because its inevitable.
i love all drum & bass, it really doesnt matter what petty subgenre stamp you want to throw on it. if the vibes are there, theyre there.

Well, the one thing i hate is when people show up at fabric or cable for the first time expecting it to be like Fresh's set as glastonbury, or reading, or one of those other faggoty festivals. Then have the cheek to get pissed off and talk shit when theyre ears arent pumped full of Gold Dust and Slam and shit.

Well, the one thing i hate is when people show up at fabric or cable for the first time expecting it to be like Fresh's set as glastonbury, or reading, or one of those other faggoty festivals. Then have the cheek to get pissed off and talk shit when theyre ears arent pumped full of Gold Dust and Slam and shit.

i mean i agree, that can be well annoying but every genre has that. go to see mala? people will say hes boring... i heard someone complain once that daft punk was cheesy and that a deadmau5 show would be more fun to go to... FUCKING DAFT PUNK. not to mention, the one man who told me aphex twin was nothing but random noise... hes no longer with us.

but i digress, pricks are everywhere. in every genre, even outside of EDM.

i can agree more with wat some people say about live and let live and its natural progression, which imo is valid - however most of you guys r uk based, uk being the fucking home of dnb and there r so many nights and venues and types to chose from... now i come to dubai see dnb and im like fucking yesssss plz....

i rock up they play pretty much only beatports top 1000 skrillex bambam bullshit because the crowd is is pretty lil wanna be rich pricks who think they like dnb, but without these pretty lil wanna be rich pricks, there would pretty much be no dnb at all.... then i offer to dj, for free so i can play some nice and proper FUCKING JUMP UP :mad::mad::mad::mad: and get shot down cos "its will drive the crowd away" :( alas i regress to standing 2 feet away from my speakers at home playing
on loop on my friday nights

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom